Coral Vue Hydros

Evaporation Control While on Vacation

Hognoxious

Would like to get some thoughts on this idea ...

on our 34-gallon tank we have a DIY partial cover we made of acrylic ... cover over the front half of the tank and the back half is left open for gas exchange. So the entire top is 30"x12" and covered and open is split 50/50 at 30" x 6".

Getting ready to head out on vacation for 5 days and knowing we evaporate about 12-ounces of water per day (currently do manual top-offs) with the half open top, I'm thinking of taking an extra sheet of acrylic I have and cutting out a new top that covers the entire top surface to control evaporation over the next several days. We have an in tank Tunze 9002 so I will need to cut a slot around the collection cup but thats no big deal.

So anyone think a full cover will control the evaporation rate and keep the specific gravity in check?

Hog, it would be simpler if you got yourself a JBJ Auto Top-Off Controller with an aqua dose lifter and a jug of water. I have mine permanently setup on my Cad and I never have to worry about topping off. Just a thought..

it will help but whats it going to do to your temperatures. You will be surprised how much heat difference that could make.

Better option would be to make a gravity top off and put it in. I am sure there is a corner of the tank you could fashion to hose to sit in for water level desired etc. They are super easy to make and work well. There is plenty of DIY guides here and on the internet for them.. Gravity ATO ... sun tea ATO and you'll get other options to search for from those.. Good luck :)

can you DIY a large scale "hampster bottle" type gravity feed top off. maybe use a cheap storage tub from wal-mart with some airline tubing ???

just a thought. sometimes my ideas get the best of me.

Was in the same situation .So i made a sump,an over box,auto top off(with aqua litfer pump) for my 8 gallon bio cube.Salinity stays exactly where i want it with almost pin point accuracy).I have back up float switches for safety as well.

So i would definetly either make yourself (cheapest solution)e or purchase on a.t.o.

Thanks everyone ...

Yea, been thinking of an auto top-off for awhile - just need to go ahead and get one.

Not to worried about temp as our tank runs at about 77-degrees but our central AC is usually at 73 and while away it will be bumped up to 77 so that could be a factor in conjunction with a full cover.

We maintain a specific gravity of 1.026 but over the last few days I have been topping off a touch more to try and get it closer to 1.025 - but didn't want to drop it to much to fast.

I wish I had friends I could trust with such a simple task!

Just have five 12 ounce cups. Label the day you want it poured in.

even something that simple would confuse some of my friends. :lol:

:huh: I just realized how stupid my friends really are, dont tell my wife . I would never hear the end of that

Archived