Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Any Brightwell Aquatics NeoMarine Salt Review?

MatthewStarr

MatthewStarr

Hi everyone! I am looking into purchasing brightwell aquatics neomarine salt mix. I was wondering if anybody has any experience with this salt and if it's as good as it sounds? I know there is no such thing as a perfect salt mix but compared to the cheaper brands i'm pretty sure it has to be good. Any one care to share your info?

animalmaster6

I was thinking of doing this or the BIO-ACTIF Tropic Marin Salt. I'm going with Tropic Marin. Much much better reviews and results.

Use it and love it. I do a 10 gallon WC a week on my 40 breeder mixed reef and have no complaints. Salt mixes very easily and clean. Also very please with color and growth of my corals. Water tests are consistent and have never needed to dose anything although I only have a handful of SPS.

• 1 month later...

I wanted to write a review on this salt, and I found it unnecessary to start a whole new thread. SO...

The story begins with my apathy for 2-part dosing... I hate it. My pH was constantly low, I was dosing calcium, and buffer, but quickly ran out. And if I left for a week, my pH would swing low. My LFS mixes their saltwater at a mix of FOWLR and reef levels, so it was always a little low on specific gravity. So, I decieded to start mixing my own saltwater, although I will still continue a 2-part dosing regiment for good measure. The neomarine saltwater was on clearance and I liked brightwell aquatics products, so I thought I'd give it a try.

I had high nitrates, so I had to do a 10 gallon WC. My pH was 7.7 (same level as the LFS's mixed saltwater). After the WC in tank of 34 gallons, my pH went up to 8.0. I am very impressed with it. I believe that the pH of the pure mixed saltwater is about 8.3. I have no idea what other brands of saltwater rate in real life, nor do I know the brand of saltwater my LFS uses... However, this has been a very good brand for me with no past experience mixing my own salt. I also LOVE how fast the salt mixes, and how it heats up with mixing. It makes preparation faster and easier.

Hope this helps somebody.

skimlessinseattle

I am having a good experience with neomarine. My batch mixes exactly to a SG of 1.025, and the calcium and magnesium levels advertised seem to be accurate. The only thing I don't like about the neomarine, is the lid is a PITA to get off. Do yourself a favor and get a paint pail lid remover. Is it worth the extra dough? Probably not; once you start dosing, all that extra calcium and magnesium you pay for is almost meaningless. Reef crystals is cheaper and probably just as good.

It is worth mentioning that a friend of mine who also is currently using neomarine has an issue with the SG mixing high; even after giving it a good mix. We are both chemists by proffesion, so I can assure you he is mixing it correctly ;) His batch is mixing to 1.030 if I remember correctly.

Archived