ReefCleaners.org

Cloudy Water!? Cause?

rcervel

My water has been really cloudy the past two days. Just did a water change but not much better. It's sort of a light green cloud. No really noticeable algae in the tank or glass. dk ~8; pH ~8.2, haven't tested the other params just as yet. I changed 4 gallons in my 29 gallon tank and changed carbon. Last thing I dosed was Kent Coral Accel, think this might have done it? All the corals seem to be doing fine, in fact my lobo brain and flowerpot has really opened nicely even now. I'll try getting pics.

Blueangel44
My water has been really cloudy the past two days. Just did a water change but not much better. It's sort of a light green cloud. No really noticeable algae in the tank or glass. dk ~8; pH ~8.2, haven't tested the other params just as yet. I changed 4 gallons in my 29 gallon tank and changed carbon. Last thing I dosed was Kent Coral Accel, think this might have done it? All the corals seem to be doing fine, in fact my lobo brain and flowerpot has really opened nicely even now. I'll try getting pics.
Pics would be nice to have! But the only thing I could think of is algae but you said you didn't see any? So that rules that out. Once you get the photos up I will take another look and maybe I will notice something! Good luck! :D

Update: Just saw this when researching! It may seem counter-intuitive, but water changes can actually increase the growth rate of green water algae. Some more causes for this can be Overfeeding and additional Lighting.

MusicISUnlimited

I wouldn`t think its the coral accel. I have been dosing it for months and it`s never done any harm. Just make my corals grow:)

Any ideas on how to clear the water. Turning off the lights for a day? Would a large water change really do any good?

A uv sterilizer would take care of it. Wet skimming will also reduce it. I think the coral accel is fueling it so stop dosing it. Run the tank with just actinic for a few days.

I only used the Coral Accel once, 2 tsp in my 29gal. Would this be a decent UV sterilizer? I don't have any plumbing to hook the others up to(using a HOB skimmer), so one that goes into the tank for a while would be fine. Would the UV take out anything considered beneficial?

steviejitsu

Are you running a filter? Are you running any carbon? those help. Also a W/C would help.

You should definitely stop dosing that and see what happens. That isn't a necessity for coral so you should stop and see.

cheryl jordan

I myself would

1. Do another water change

2. Run some new carbon

3. Leave the lighting off for one day

4. Make sure nothing in the tank has died

5. Stop feeding for a day or two

If the water appear cloudy, and milky or has an odor, most likely a bacterial bloom, water change and carbon should help that.

If it is greenish on tint, mostly likely an algae bloom in which case the lights off and cutting down on any nutrients should help.

Yeah, more milky than green I guess and there's definetly an odor when you put your nose up to the tank. Already had and algae bloom and right after that finished over a week or so noticed tons of copepods all over the glass lately a lot fewer. Don't know if that means anything. Water was crystal-clear a week ago.

So I got a UV sterilizer Sat and this morning the tank is showing signs of improvement, still cloudy but it is getting clearer.

Archived