Coral Vue Hydros

Raising Salitity

Reefer42

so my hydrometer sucks. no matter what it reads perfect, but my lfs said it was at 1.022. trying to raise it by topping off with saltwater. I add about a half a gallon a day in my 29g biocube. approx how many top offs should I expect to do with saltwater before my sailnity is correct?

If your hydrometer is reading 1.025 and their refractometer is reading 1.022 then you can assume a .003 correction rate. So your hydrometer should be reading 1.028 to be at a true 1.025.

However that's just an estimate, what you can do is bring it to your lfs. Have them check their water to confirm its at 1.025 and then use your hydrometer on there water and bam that's where your true 1.025 is.

Do that every month and you're fine in using a hydrometer.

Im using an oceanic suction cup hydrometer. It sucks. As I was saying no matter what it pretty much reads .025. I rarely check my salinity, just keep my tank filled up. however during the last water change, I came up a little short, and filled up the last half gallon w/ ro water so I could fall asleep. (noisy in my bedroom) The nearest lfs is a far ride, so Im just trying to get an estimate of how much a half gallon top off with saltwater will raise my salinity

Archived