Cultivated Reef

Does anyone really test their water?

The Unit

i have not tested my water in 5 months.....i do 3 gal w/c in my ten gal every week...just wondering if people actually test their systems?

i test like mad, Nitrates, Calcium, Alkalinity, Ph, and thats about it for now. i really just like to see how the tank reacts to different additions and make sure its doing ok.

right now I test ammonia, nitrates, nitrites, PH, and Alk weekly, and salinity daily. I plan to add calcium testing as soon as I pick up a test kit at the LFS.

I test for CA like every 2-3 weeks. Thats about it. If I notice something wrong like an algea bloom I test everything but that hasn't happened in a while. I check the salinity daily only because it involves the least amount of work and takes like 10 seconds.

I haven't done a test in months. :P Well, I kind of take that back. I check my SG and adjust it when doing water changes every two weeks, but that is it.

This probably isn't the best thing to do though, and it may come back to bite me in the butt.

:P

I have three tanks. Two are fish only (more or less), a 28g and a 55g, and one is my nano-reef (21g).

I test for Nitrates weekly with all three tanks. I use a normal Nitrate test kit for the FO tanks, and a low-range for the reef. I also test pH in all three tanks regularly. Fortunately, I have an electronic pH meeter ($30 at http://www.automatedaquariums.com/) that saves time and test packets for that test.

I also test Calcium, and Phosphates in the reef tank weekly. I test the others (Ammonia, Oxygen, Nitrites, Iodine, Strontium) much less frequently.

I use either Fastest/Seatest or Salifert test kits.

so it looks like me and OscarBeast are the only ones who dont really test their tank....if i ever found anything wrong on the tests theu only thing i would know to do would be a water change ... so i juist change water weekly.... saves money on test kits......although i prob shoud test for calc. as my coraline has never taken off...but i have never added anything to my tank...

I tested more often in the beginning. As the tank matures, I think you sorta develop a feel for it. I don't really test now unless something seems amiss.

I test CA and ALK at least every two weeks, but shoot for after ever weekly water change. (Salifert Brand Kits) I haven't been testing for Nitrate since we got rid of our perc. :D

Gil

Buy a GOOD test kit. My Lamote test kit was like 400.00 it is highly accurate and is lab grade. Use your kits more in the beginnings, and get a good idea how things are running. As time continues, things get more stable. Nitrate, Po, CA, ORP, and Alkalinity are most important. LONG TERM.

After a few years, You will be able to eyeball a problem and know what is wrong. I test occasionaly for various things when I see hints that the tank(s) are running a foul. If U are not sure If u have a problem, TEST, dont let it slide. Doing water changes

with a good salt and ROdi water is perhaps the best thing.:)

Do people ever really test their water?

Answere (just my opinion):

Yes, but only periodically - once you become familure with maintaining your specific system, it isn't necessary to test your water all that often, unless there is some indication that something is off. I guess some would still recommend once a week, but really if you know your system, once every two weeks is fine...

Two exceptions:

Salinity - should test for it every week, because can fluctuate do to evaporation..etc.. its one of those things that can get away on you, if you don't monitor it... Once or twice a week..

If you have an very small system, if its unstable, or if you are not familure with it enough.

I rarely test my water. For one, common test kits are horribly inaccurate, especially when you start getting into the world of trace elements. The worst of which is iodine. Anyone who tests for iodine is just throwing their money away, in my opinion.

I have a test kit on hand for times of emergency. But more often than not, the only time my water gets tested is when I go to the LFS to buy more water. I'll usually bring in a couple viles of my old tank water and they test it for free.

I say forget the test kits, save the money and spend it on a refractomer for testing specific gravity. It's of the most dire concern when raising corals, and the standard specific gravity meters are worthless.

Matthew

I dose B-Ionic daily and my calcium and alk are balanced. I check S.G. every other week.

I also check alk every 2 weeks. if my alk is 2.5 meq/l, then I know my calcium is 400ppm. If alk is 4.0meq/l, then my calcium is 430ppm--> one of the benefits of a balanced supplement is that you don't have to measure calcium all the danged time because alk and calcium are pretty closely coupled. Testing calcium is a PITA and the kits are only good to +/- 20ppm anyways.

I check calcium every 4-6 weeks. Not surprisingly, it's always within 20ppm of what I expect it to be. When I check calcium, I also check nitrate.

I get out the other test kits usually only if I see a reason to (a lot of algae, something dies, things are closed up, water is a bit colored, etc). In practice, this is about every 2-4 months.

I never test my water...never.... All I need is a fill line and some Xenia, I dont even know where my test kit is, or if I own one? The force is what guides me

geoffgarcia

I never test anything,

do water topoffs every day to every three days depending on my mood, and do water changes every 3-4 weeks typically.

I've done a water change from a salinity of .27 down to .23 and it didn't have the slightest impact on my stuff

I test occasionally. But at the first few weeks of setup, I tested every few days.

Testing is really important at the early stages of a tanks life.

Once it all reaches a balance and the reef keeper gains experiance, a simple look at the tank and its inhabitants will tell if something is wrong.

I occasionaly test for nitrates, calcium etc.

Just to make sure that I am doing adequate water changes and supplementing right amounts.

Originally posted by Asterix

I never test my water...never.... All I need is a fill line and some Xenia, I dont even know where my test kit is, or if I own one? The force is what guides me

"the force is strong with this one...... But U are not Jedi yet....."

;Quote by my uncle: Darth. :woot:

Archived