Innovative Marine Aquariums

Fragged mini elegance

dutch27

Mini Elegance was outgrowing it's little piece of real estate, so I decided to try and frag it. From what I've read, it really isn't that difficult or risky if your coral is established. So when it closed up it had narrow sections that I had read were the place to cut for fragging, so I did. Looks like I cut a mouth right in half, was hoping not too. So I think I got a piece with 1.5 mouths on it (or 0.5, we'll see when it opens back up), and a piece with 2.5-3.5, don't remember how many total mouths it had.

So, heres what I used, what it looks like. Pic is almost immediately after getting it in the water. This thing stunk when it slimed up and got angry, and the slime was extremely thick.

DSC01965.jpg

DSC01964.jpg

frags.jpg

I'll post updates as it recovers (or doesn't, hopefully it does) from the fragging.

A few hours later both pieces are opening up already. Definitely sliced a mouth. The smaller one has 1 full mouth along with the one that got cut.

DSC01971.jpg

Go figure, the day after I frag it my tank springs a leak and I have to move the frag to a temporary 10g, with no lights. Still open and looks fine though (*knock on wood*). Coming up on 24 hrs of curing on my silicone job, probably going to refill today.

• 2 weeks later...

Frags are doing well but my tank broke twice in the past week. Fixed a leaky seem and then the back pane cracked the entire height. I'm getting out for now. I don't have it in me to break this thing down again and replace the glass. I'm looking for a house so maybe when I get out of my apartment I'll considering setting something back up.

i bet that smelled delicious

Took a couple days of hand washing to get the smell off. Hahaha. Next time I'll wear gloves.

I spoke too soon about getting out, knee jerk reaction to my tank breaking twice in a week, once fatally. Working on a new 18x18x18 Marineland. Gonna have a rim, but beggars can't be choosers.

In the meantime, these things are doing great. They've been moved to different light and flow patterns 3-4 times in the last week with my tank breaking twice. And they're still opening up, eating, etc. Pic below is of the bigger one, you can see where the cut was. Forming new tentacles and looking good. It still hasn't covered it's guts up (yes, guts is a technical term), so it has some healing to do in that regards.

Even with being moved to different light and flow patterns several times in the past week, these things are still open all the time, and the one is growing new tentacles and showing great signs of healing. Pretty tough coral, I expected it to be much more sensitive. The other frag isn't as clean looking as I cut it's repairing a mouth. Couldn't get a good shot of that one.

DSC01993.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Solarflare8806

thats really cool, I really didn't know you could frag corals like elegance and others where you would have to cut into the coral directly like that untill i watched a little video of eric borneman doing it!

I guess tho if you think about. If you can frag half a blasto and be ok then I guess you can halve a elegance. Concept and anatomy is still the same.

way to go.

Thanks Solar. That reminds me this needs updating.

Here's pics from today, the frag where the mouth didn't get gashed open. It's been looking close to this for at least a week, I'd say basically fully healed. The other frag the skeleton looks completely healed, but the mouth hasn't closed up yet. It looks like it's trying to do that now. Can't get any good pics.

DSC02033.jpg

DSC02034.jpg

Yeah I am. As soon as I did it someone in my local club said he wanted one when they healed. I was considering making a third from the one that's completely healed but with only two mouths I think it's too risky.

• 1 month later...

Archived