Top Shelf Aquatics

14g Biocube Incubator

blajoie

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nice tank! I gotta get some GSP for my 14g to spiffy it up. :happy:

Yeah you do :) Cheap easy coral.

More pics...still trying to get the hang of the new camera.

Really need to find some time to play with it.

Anyone got a nikon d5000 and have some tips?

I'm thinking its just the crappy 18-55 lense that comes with the camera that is my problem.

_DSC0018.jpg

_DSC0023.jpg

_DSC0076.jpg

_DSC0081.JPG

_DSC0069.jpg

_DSC0045.jpg

_DSC0051.jpg

DSC_0042.jpg

DSC_0048.jpg

DSC_0026.jpg

UV stunner strip is dead. 4-5 LEDs have burnt out already. Maybe it's getting too hot? The blue strip is fine though...going to be sending it back. Think I may just stick to the one blue stunner.

Probably would not recommend the uv. Barely flouresed the corals, the 453nm does a better job.

Just came back from spending a few days with the parents to an fishless display.

The clown had jumped into the rear chambers and had tangled himself up in the filter floss of chamber two.

Even though he was still under some water, he was dried up and dead.

Other than that, every other living creature is doing just fine.

Now I guess I need to rethink my stocking plans.

Only have a purple firefish in there now.

I'm thinking 2-3 sexy shrimp + some other fish??

Possibly a tail spot blenny??

Just been having some bad luck with the jumpers...

Decided to take some pics.

Still trying to figure out the damn white balance, and work on the focus.

Using these cheap little magnification filters for the camera to imitate the macro lense...seems to do an OK job. Getting there...

Coral feeding time! Mmmm shrimp.

DSC_0010.JPG

DSC_0038.JPG

DSC_0018.JPG

Even the zoas are getting in on the action.

DSC_0023.JPG

DSC_0031.JPG

DSC_0068.jpg

DSC_0082.jpg

DSC_0096.jpg

DSC_0116.jpg

Actinics + photoshop

DSC_0132.jpg

DSC_0137.jpg

Your tank looks good. Some good pics too.

thanks. your 25G TOTM was my inspiration to get back into the hobby :). Then I followed your older 14g biocube thread for some tips.

The new cadlight is starting to look amazing! I think I'll need to add some frogspawn very soon...big fan of the grown out look.

UV stunner strip is dead. 4-5 LEDs have burnt out already. Maybe it's getting too hot? The blue strip is fine though...going to be sending it back. Think I may just stick to the one blue stunner.

Probably would not recommend the uv. Barely flouresed the corals, the 453nm does a better job.

you should build yourdelf a mesh screen to stop the jumpers, nice pics by the way.

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=212941

I made mine for my biocube 14 .

Looks good. I think i am going to have to make one of those.

Where did you buy the mesh?

-

So since my clown and sixline jumped...all that was left was the purp firefish.

Decided to buy a tail spot blenny.

He's pretty cool, acclimated just fine and is eating like a pig.

I think I'd like to add 1 more fish. not sure if I want to try a clown, or some sort of wrasse? Pods are getting a bit out of control. Climbing all over the zoas at night, so might need to add someone to eat them...

hmmm

Looks good. I think i am going to have to make one of those.

Where did you buy the mesh?

-

So since my clown and sixline jumped...all that was left was the purp firefish.

Decided to buy a tail spot blenny.

He's pretty cool, acclimated just fine and is eating like a pig.

I think I'd like to add 1 more fish. not sure if I want to try a clown, or some sort of wrasse? Pods are getting a bit out of control. Climbing all over the zoas at night, so might need to add someone to eat them...

hmmm

A guy named Acroholic on Atlanta reef club.Pm me I can send you his info.

A guy named Acroholic on Atlanta reef club.Pm me I can send you his info.

ok cool thanks. I probably wont have time to build it for a week or two, but ill PM when i find a free weekend.

I've been noticing that the tank temp is starting to fluctuate more. Could just be the bitter cold winter, or maybe the heater is getting old. RKL is set to 79.0. With lights on it never seems to get above that, but at nights I've noticed it drop to 77.0 even while the heater is running. I'm not even sure it turns off at all during the night. House temp is 66.0. Probably need to check it one night...

Right now I have a 50W stealth pro heater. Has anyone with a biocube gone with a 75W or 100W? I would tend to think that having a slightly higher powered heater would almost be better, since then the smaller heater isn't always running, struggling to bring the temp up. I have it connected to a RKL with the temp probe, so I am not too worried about cooking the tank should it get stuck on.

So either 75W/100W? Or toss two 50W heaters in that 1st chamber?

Any thoughts?

• 2 weeks later...

Over the past month or two I've ended up changing the rock scape.

Tried to capture the firefish (which failed) and then just re-organized some corals instead.

Some corals have been growing nicely, some have shriveled up and died :) Some zoos just hate me.

old

DSC_0005_MOD.jpg

new

DSC_0240.JPG

Granted some camera settings have changed, which make the new scape look better regardless hah/

Also made a time lapse today of the tank

500 pictures.

One every 3 seconds.

Video is 12 FPS.

Enjoy.

(make sure you watch in HD!)

• 1 month later...

It's been a little over 2 months since my last update...figured I'd post some pics!

Tail spot blenny went missing. His stomach looked pretty bloated, maybe having trouble digesting some of the food I was feeding? Too bad, was a pretty cool fish.

Picked up a new clown as a replacment. Still considering some sort of wrasse...

Couple zoo colonies died off, rest have been spreading quite nicely...some more than others.

On to the pics!

_DSC0084.JPG

_DSC0099.JPG

_DSC0106.JPG

_DSC0113.JPG

_DSC0117.JPG

_DSC0120.JPG

_DSC0142.JPG

_DSC0147.JPG

_DSC0157.jpg

_DSC0163.JPG

_DSC0168.JPG

_DSC0202.JPG

_DSC0216.JPG

_DSC0236.JPG

_DSC0244.JPG

_DSC0251.JPG

_DSC0252.jpg

_DSC0262.jpg

• 7 months later...

Well, it's been 8 months since the last update.

I've started a Ph.D. in bioinformatics so have not had much time to care to the tank.

Tank has been on maintenance mode:

2 gallon water change every 1-2 weeks

Rotate through frozen/flakes/pellets for feedings

Change carbon/purigen every few months

No hardware changes lately.

Some of the zoos have taken off, pink zoos are approaching the size of a football...!

DSC_0004.JPG

DSC_0015.jpg

DSC_0018.jpg

DSC_0019.JPG

DSC_0023.jpg

DSC_0027.JPG

DSC_0028.jpg

DSC_0031.JPG

DSC_0034.jpg

DSC_0035.JPG

DSC_0053.JPG

DSC_0060.JPG

DSC_0062.jpg

DSC_0085.JPG

DSC_0091.JPG

DSC_0109.JPG

DSC_0105.JPG

I've ordered a frag rack and some plugs to start trimming back on the corals.

Hopefully i'll be able to even sell some frags locally.

The bulb in the MH probably needs to be replaced in a few months.

Rather then spending another $80, I am considering just switching to a aqua illumination sol nano.

hmm...

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

So it's been awhile since my last update, not much has changed in the biocube lately. No fish remain at this point. The firefish that was left has now disappeared.

Before adding more fish, I wanted to take the opportunity to either re-scape things a bit or maybe even start a new tank? So I started doing a bit of research on which tanks could replace the biocube.

I definitely wanted a rimless tank. Something either AIO or pre-drilled with a sump. It had to be very clean looking and somewhat modern. At first I had decided on the Current USA Solana. I was a bit hesitant that the tank was too large but that was soon put to rest when I discovered the solana aio has been discontinued and they now only make a tank-only (no aio and not drilled) solana. This decision by Current makes no sense to me...oh well, their loss.

Then I found the ELOS line of tanks. The ELOS Mini and Midi had the exact look I was going for, but they were certainly not cheap! After a few weeks of reading the forums on mini and midi builds, I decided I was ready to see one of the tanks in person. Luckily ELOS had just opened one of their AquaStudio stores in NYC so we took a road-trip out to the city to have a look.

It was a hard choice between the mini and midi, but I ended up with placing an order for a MIDI. I am hoping to reuse most of the equipment from the biocube setup and then sell off the SunPod and Biocube tank + stand once then MIDI arrives.

Now I just need to decide on some lights. Right now, I am waiting until the AI Vega is released and is reviewed before I make any decisions. Can't wait for the tank to arrive and see it in my condo! This will be a nice and slow build a I hope to do everything right from the start. Will probably start a new thread once the tank arrives. More soon.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Archived