Pod Your Reef

Digital Refractometer

Hognoxious

Does anyone use a digital refractometer ...

I've been using the $45 refractometer from Dr F&S and it seems to work OK. I calibrate it often with Pinpoint calibration fluid but is still a bit of guess-work to get it dialed in with just the right amount of light for an accurate reading - so I am wondering if the digital refractometer is easy to use, precise in measurement and overall worth the extra spend?

I use the pinpoint salinity monitor and other than the new set of numbers you have to get used to it's ideal, just dip wait a few seconds and go on to the next tank.

Ok - thanks for the opinions.

I'm looking at the Pinpoint but also the Hanna Instruments and the Milwaukee Digital refractometer. Any users of Hanna or Milwaukee on here?

I have hanna TDS/Ec/PH and a hanna TDS/ EC, I prefer the pinpoint's calibration method, it also seems to be more consistent the hanna's seem to need cal more often. Just my experiences.

I'm using the Milwaukee Digital Refractometer and loving it. It looks to be the same design as the Hanna but significantly cheaper. Looking in the dinky little scale with my eyesight on optical refractometers was a real pain. The digital refractometer is a breeze to use and considered more accurate than conductivity based meters. It works like the opticals, measuring the angle of refraction from a light beam hitting the water sample. You just use a few drops of RO water to calibrate it and away you go. Great investment and highly recommended.

p_refractometer.jpg

Thanks everyone ... sounds like I couldn't really go wrong with any these whether it be the Pinpoint, Hanna or Milwaukee unit. A lot of money, but the one parameter I would like to really have a very accurate reading on is the specific gravity of our tank water.

Archived