Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Sick of bad perams =(

megan

I have never had 100% clear perameters. If it weren't you guys posting yours, I wouldn't believe they exist. Now I hadn't changed my sock in a while (its my least favorite chore), so I'm sure that's part of it.

Calc 520

Nitrates 20

Phosphates .5

spec. grav 1.026

I don't have an ATO as I have no where to put the fresh water. I just add 1 gallon per day manually.

I do 15 gallon (my tank is a 65 with a 15 gal sump) water changes every 7-10 days.

I'm bummed. :(

Nobody has all 0's they say they do but if it were actually true coral wouldn't live as they need nitrates and phosphates to live. Yours are a little high, I would suggest stopping all WC and let the system stabalize for atleast a few weeks. You may want to experiment with sugar or vodka, I'm now hearing that rice may act as a carbon source too. As long as your tank looks good I wouldn't get too worried about it. Just my .02

Before I started using chemipure elite even after 20% water changes I would have 20ppm nitrates, nitrites and ammonia would drop but those nitrates bugged the hell out of me. After getting it my nitrates nitrites and ammonia are always at 0. My tests can't detect it. Give it a shot.

Ahh the old I got perfect water business. You can play with resins and reactors but IMO they are just another gimick, I feed my tank some nasty stuff, Pappone. I get good growth, have good color and refuse to use any resin unless I have to. I would suggest finding some colonial dusters, sponges, tunicates. My idea has been to let my tank balance out and take car of it's problems on it's own. However if you are a test-a-holic and want "perfect" water, run the resins and don't feed anything.

marinekeeper
Nobody has all 0's they say they do but if it were actually true coral wouldn't live as they need nitrates and phosphates to live. Yours are a little high, I would suggest stopping all WC and let the system stabalize for atleast a few weeks. You may want to experiment with sugar or vodka, I'm now hearing that rice may act as a carbon source too. As long as your tank looks good I wouldn't get too worried about it. Just my .02

no wonder all my #### died

its about good parameters and stability.

20 for nitrates is not horrible unless yur a SPS freak and want perfect water

.5 phosphate is a bit more than most would like .. mainly due to the nuissance algae that usually follows it.

Not knowing anything else about the tank one can't even make a meaningful suggestion.

feed less, WC more, use RO water blah blah you know the drill and I am sure you ahve read it all here 1000 times but none of those suggestion mean much without the complete history and current feeding lighting watersource etc.

I just want to say that if your tank is looking good.. and your getting the colors and growth you desire.. dont get so hung up on perfect water. Just keep it stable and maybe slowly try to isolate where the phosphate is being introduced.

its about good parameters and stability.

20 for nitrates is not horrible unless yur a SPS freak and want perfect water

.5 phosphate is a bit more than most would like .. mainly due to the nuissance algae that usually follows it.

Not knowing anything else about the tank one can't even make a meaningful suggestion.

feed less, WC more, use RO water blah blah you know the drill and I am sure you ahve read it all here 1000 times but none of those suggestion mean much without the complete history and current feeding lighting watersource etc.

I just want to say that if your tank is looking good.. and your getting the colors and growth you desire.. dont get so hung up on perfect water. Just keep it stable and maybe slowly try to isolate where the phosphate is being introduced.

The tank looks great. No algae, other than the bits of macro I have in there. For lighting, I have 2 20k 150's. I have a skimmer, but it has never worked. I'd say its pretty stable, but b/c I manage EVERYTHING myself, sometimes there is a slip up. Every once in a while, it gets a little hotter or a little colder than I'd like, but its easy to correct and it usually runs between 78-80. I top off once a day. I do have a little hang on back filter that I keep chemipure in, but it's not a phosban reactor, so I don't know if it really runs effectively.

I do not get the coral growth I want. Everything seems to just maintain. Fish are happy, starfish looks like hell, but he was my first purchase ever and I think he's just super old.

Have you tried to isolate where your phosphate and possibly nitrates (or ammonia) is being introduced?

Where do you get your water from? is it RO water yoru mixing or are you buying premixed water?

The key to this might be identifying where its originating from.

Test your freshly mixed water/top off water/etc for nitrates and phosphates see if they are a source.

How much and how often do you feed your tank?

What do you feed your tank inhabitants?

Is your macro algae growing at insane rates?

Trimming the macro and removing it is a way of exportting organics. Depending ont he macroi it could be a good lil income maker also. (funding other salty projects..LOL)

I make up a mix of all the food I have by putting it in the food processor and freezing it in small plastic cups. I use silver sides, formula 1, formula 2, coral vibrance, shrimp or scallop or whatever I have on hand. I blend it all up and then I fill each cup with a mix of salt water and the food and each cup lasts about 4 feedings. I feed every 2-3 days by turning off the pumps and lights and dusting all of the lps (about 3 turkey baster sprays all together). The fish get plenty, the rest settles and the clean up crew gets it. I also use phyto about once per week.

I use RO/DI and mix my own, but I have never tested it before hand. I'll try that. My macro does not grow like crazy. I wish it would! I have access to a zillion cool types at my beach place, but I haven't gotten the best results yet. I'm going to keep trying tho. I'd love to sell it to suplement my coral habit!

Coral growth is often not as fast as we would like, take pics on a regular basis so you will have an honest comparison. By honest I mean something other than day to day. It sounds like your tank is doing well, check out my thread and see if maybe Pappone or atleast a variation would be easier for you. Fresh seafood IMO is alot better than what you buy frozen.

Seems odd that there is excess nutrients and plenty of light yet macros as slow growing as well.

I agree that coral growth is never as fast as we would like and the picture idea to compare 30 days from now is a good idea.

Your food mix seems sound to me.. nice blend and feeds seem on course for what I would do myself atleast.

water testing RO and RO+salt mix would be my next check as well .. hope something turns up soon for ya.

Thanks for your tips guys. I'll take some pics and check back. I'll also check my source water.

I have a Pappone and it hasn't extended its polyps in a few weeks. My leathers were a little stressed after a move a couple of weeks ago, but they seem much better now.

My monti cap is growing so fast you can see it, and there are a few new heads of zoas in some places. I also have a couple of new heads on my acans, but my mushrooms don't multiply, nor do my hammers, yellow polyps, candy canes, or blastos. I don't see any real change over the months. I guess I'm just wishing it would mature a little.

I have very little macro. It's really just the little bits of leafy green bits and wirey brown chaeto looking stuff that came on the backs of some of my snails. I don't have anything planted, but I want to try that soon.

Also, a few people have suggested that I just leave it alone and let it stabilize, but I've always been told (mostly by the lfs) to do more water changes. Will the nitrates and phosphates eventually get worked out? What's your take on that philosophy?

I wc erratically. Sometimes I do it one week then, skip the next week and do two back to backs, sometimes just once a week.

MusicISUnlimited
Thanks for your tips guys. I'll take some pics and check back. I'll also check my source water.

I have a Pappone and it hasn't extended its polyps in a few weeks. My leathers were a little stressed after a move a couple of weeks ago, but they seem much better now.

My monti cap is growing so fast you can see it, and there are a few new heads of zoas in some places. I also have a couple of new heads on my acans, but my mushrooms don't multiply, nor do my hammers, yellow polyps, candy canes, or blastos. I don't see any real change over the months. I guess I'm just wishing it would mature a little.

I have very little macro. It's really just the little bits of leafy green bits and wirey brown chaeto looking stuff that came on the backs of some of my snails. I don't have anything planted, but I want to try that soon.

Also, a few people have suggested that I just leave it alone and let it stabilize, but I've always been told (mostly by the lfs) to do more water changes. Will the nitrates and phosphates eventually get worked out? What's your take on that philosophy?

Just beat my nitrates man. I was doing some pretty big WC`s up to 70%% every 3 days, until my dropped to 10ppm`s. They dropped after the first two and after that i did anywhere from 30%-40% WC`s every five days. As of now they are finally zero and have stayed zero. Now i change 20% weekly. Maybe that will help, it`s how i beat mine. Good Luck!

Just beat my nitrates man. I was doing some pretty big WC`s up to 70%% every 3 days, until my dropped to 10ppm`s. They dropped after the first two and after that i did anywhere from 30%-40% WC`s every five days. As of now they are finally zero and have stayed zero. Now i change 20% weekly. Maybe that will help, it`s how i beat mine. Good Luck!

Thanks! That is definitely the school of thought I've been beaten with. Unfortunately, I'm outa salt and outa $$$. I'll give it a shot next week.

MusicISUnlimited
Thanks! That is definitely the school of thought I've been beaten with. Unfortunately, I'm outa salt and outa $$$. I'll give it a shot next week.

Ahh.. God i know where your comin from. NEVER have money for the tank. Always ends up goin somewhere else :( hahah Only negative to reefing is the expenses !!

Archived