Cultivated Reef

collecting water?

hedson_25

hello, i have a question i hope a good samaritan can help me, im about to setup a nano, i live bz the sea and i can get water from it from far away the people, i just got a used plastic container, it was a water softener container, it still smells like quemical stuff but ißm going to rinse it and wash it troughtly. is it still usable? if i wash it very well.

it is a 50 litter container, about 20 gallons. i got a big one instead of several small since i wont go too often to bring water...from here:

ixtapa-island.jpg

I do it too sometimes. You'd be better to get a couple of 5 gallon buckets less frequently. Fresh ocean water doesn't keep super long and that would be very heavy and hard to transport.

Also, don't skim the top water at low tide. That's the oceans skimmate :P

yes i know, i should get other containers, how long do yopu think it last? one week? should i keep it aereating with a pump?

i will not have skimmer in my tank so i will make frecuent water changes about 30% a week or more, so i can have fresh and clean water with lotßs of planckton!! or whaterver it comes with...

so it may not cause poroblems an used quemical container when it is well washed....

in australia its very popular to use water from the sea, best to collect it on an incoming tide for the reasons mentioned above :)

also it will keep indefinately if kept in a dark airtight container...

Fresh water floats on the surface of saltwater, until it mixes, so be careful about collecting water near the surface during or after a big rain. You may also need to worry about pollution from land in runoff water near the coast after a big rain, especially the first big rain after a dry period.

Archived