SaltCritters.com

Tank cycle

iFISTmoose

Well i feel like a total noob askin this question. its been 3 years since i last cycled my tank so help me clear some things up. I added dry araginite sand and cured live rock into my tank a week ago. i tested my water perimeters and all i noticed was a very small ammonia spike,barely noticeable. Now i test them and my ammonia, nitrates, and nitrates are all at zero. would this be because the live rock i added was already cured meaning there would not be much of a cycle. What i would have to do would be to add a frozen shrimp in order to produce ammonia. Am i right on this? Since the rock was cured there would be nothing to produce ammonia and trigger a cycle?

lakshwadeep

You don't need to "produce ammonia" in the first place. A cycle is not necessary to success; curing is the same process. Basically, you should treat the tank as if it finished the cycle (i.e. doing regular water changes and stocking). However, don't rush the additions.

sorry to butt in, but ive read the term "shocking" before what exactly does it help do?

stocking, not socking. stocking is introducing corals, inverts, fish and live animal to your tank.

Archived