SaltCritters.com

Cement Rocks DIY ???

DLeAnnM

I read a recipe that uses Cement and crushed oyster shell. (1:5) So being that i have to try everything and i had some cement, I tried and it is actually very porous. You have to cure it in water for a month though to get all the Ph out of it. Has anyone had success with this?

Not sure about the cement w/crushed oyster, but check out graf.org. They make alot of their rock, have a recipe and instructions for it. A few of my pieces are made from how they do it. Works nice.

TheCurriculum

I made some of the live rock via the GARF website instructions

No worries worked fine.

We did add some crushed old live rock into the mix

Also added some crushed coral

It's a little heavy but not much more then regular live rock

After following thier process we throughly cleaned the new man made rock.. Then put it in the sump, next took a extra bit of live rock from the main tank, crushed it and spread it on top of the DIY.The DIY rock is already starting to get encrusted with some lovely purple coraline algae :wizard:

From previous post last week

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/showthread...&threadid=24052

I really like GARF

They have some good info and some fun DIY's.

My co-worker, his kids and I went and used their method of sand molding to make shaped tank rock and made some for their neighbor for a Christmas present. (Made a twisted 3 leg arch, with a flat spot on top)

The rock has been in his sump since Christmas Eve and is starting to get full of life. He will be moving it into his main tank next month. The kids are luv'n it (well me too actually) and we can't wait to see which coral he puts on top of it.

Archived