inTank Media Baskets

Lighting upgrade for 15g high

newnano

I wanted to upgrade my lighting on my 15g high tank.

I currently have a plastic Perfecto style hood on the tank that I used when the tank was used for freshwater fish.

Is there a kit of some kind available that will allow me to remove the bulb and "guts" from the hood and install new lights into the same hood? I'd like to keep an anemone (Bubble Tip or Rose) eventually.

Thanks

Anemone's have fairly high light requirements. I also have a 15g high nano with 72w (2 x 36w) of compact fluorescent light.

I originally started out with an eclipse hood and was looking for a retrofit kit similar to what you are seeking. I found the 32w retrofit kits over at Drs foster smith that will fit the eclipse hood and fixtures like yours.

I decided to scrap that idea and went with the 2 x 36 bright kit from AH supply. This worked well for a while until I started keeping some SPS corals and decided I wanted a clam. :D

Now I want a 70w Metal Halide with 2 x 18w Compact Fluorescent Actinics! I need more light, especially with the deep 18" tank.

So the moral of my story is you will probably end up wanting more light than you can retrtofit into a Perfecto style hood. The 2 x 36 kit I have on my 15g high has served me well but I have decided to keep some animals that have other (more costly)requirements. ;)

hey sammy, what type of corals did you keep with that 2x36 watt PC kit over you 15 gal? I have just finished cycling my 15 gal high nano and am currently building the hood.

Thanks

aqua_aaron

I kept mostly softies - Mushrooms, Xenia, Anthelia. I recently got some SPS corals that are doing OK but I suspect that they may do better under MH light. I am not necessarily going to increase the amount of light that much just the quality.

Archived