Coral Vue Hydros

CSL 2x40w w/moonlite hood, can this fan be quieted down?

trmiv

I just got a CSL 2x40w CF hood w/moonlite. I plugged it in and turned it on, and I couldn't believe the fan noise of this thing! There are no cables rubbing or anything, the fan is just loud. I took the fan off the housing, making sure it wasn't touching anything, and it is still loud. This one fan is louder than my two PC's put together, and they have about 7 fans between then (most are 21 dB stealth fans)/

I've found that if I hold the end of the fan while it spins and slow it down quite a bit, it is MUCH quieter and more acceptable (by myself and my girlfriend, OK, I admit it, mainly by the girlfriend). Is there a way to slow this thing down somehow? I'm no electrical wizard, but I can handle some stuff. Anything I can do to slow the fan down, or any other way to make this monster quieter?

i have the same hood...2x40 and i am planning on installing 2 QUIET Coolermaster computer fans in it. you notice the one side has the area for a fan but needs a few holes drilled to mount it.

i figure 2 fans running at slower rpm (quieter) will cool just as good as the 1 loud asszz stock fan...

oh, and i also plan to add a 70w MH where the moonlight is and make the 2x40's both blue actinic :)

Yea, good idea. I have Vantec Stealth fans on my computer, and those three are no where near as loud as this one fan on this hood.

How are you going to wire it? I guess you would just use a different ac adapter for the new fans? Also, I don't see a way to get rid of the old fan, like just unhooking it, is there a way?

the fan installed now is wired to the blue actinic bulb...i was just gonna install the other fan and tap into the 10kk bulb (well, mines gonna be 2 blues) just like the factory did w/ the original fan.

BTW, found out the original CSL fan's output is 30CFM (airflow) ...and the coolermaster fans i'm planning to use are rated at 29CFM...BUT, I will have 2 (58CFM):)

Well I fixed mine, here's what I did.

Took the unit apart, and removed the loud 120v fan.

Got two Antec Stealth PC fans, and a Coby 500mA universal AC adapter with selectable voltage.

I then wired the two fans to the adapter using connectors so I can remove when needed. Put one fan on the side that had a fan, blowing out, and the other on the other side blowing in.

Works great! Great airflow, and with the selectable voltage I can undervolt the fans to 6v and get the whole thing very silent.

NICE TRMIV!!!:D You beat me to it! I think there is some kind of resistor on the old fan wiring, but the way you did it may actually be better considering you now have control of the fan's RPM speed.

I bet even running at 6v, you should be cooling just fine...

Archived