Innovative Marine Aquariums

Suggestions before I dig in and possibly do more damage?

starrsmith

starrsmith

My stepson shut off my ac over the weekend and the temps were in the 90s. I have a 28 gallon hqi nano and today my huge clump of bubble algae was dead. My 2 anemones look horrible. My temps are stable, but now my nitrates read 15ppm. 0 nitrites and ammonia.

Should I do a huge water change, or smaller ones over a couple of days. I could also use saltwater from a 40 gallon I've had going for a while that only has live rock in it. It doesn't have great lighting since I was just going to use it for a mantis shrimp at some point, so I can't just toss the anemones in there.

Any feedback would be great!!!

lakshwadeep

15 ppm nitrates aren't so bad, but water changes wouldn't hurt. The main thing is just to get temperatures down below at least 85.

I wouldn't do any thing more that a 50% water change all at once in this situation. Frequent smaller water changes would be best, but 15 ppm is hardly going to destroy everything. Above 85 degrees is when unpleasant things start hitting a large, cruel fan. In a pinch you can point a house fan near the tank (not directly at it, that will drop the temperature to quickly.)

MusicISUnlimited

Oh jeez do i know that feeling..my girl friend shut off the AC in my room one day and the tanks temps sweltered to a little above 90.. just like you said everything looked horrible. I wasnt on nano-reef at the time so i really had no help and i just waited things out..luckily everything was restored back to normal in about a week. Also, as everyone else is saying 15ppm`s of Nitrates wont kill off anything..worry about getting the temp down and then focus on the nitrates.

Archived