Top Shelf Aquatics

to skim or not to skim?

cmoreash

So should I run the skimmer while cycling the tank, or not?    

Oh yea, and should i add snails/crabs when tank is totally cycled, or when it's starting to stabilize?

I am so excited, I can't wait to get my live rock!

the answer is simply up to you :)

i have done it without using a skimmer, but carbon...

i have also done it without using both...

many people recommend using a skimmer...

and many  dont...

so now its up to you... hehe

Guest AbSoluTc

I noticed in your signature, you have a lee's skimmer.  Is this the tank you just setup?  Also, what do you think of that skimmer?

I would get it going while the tank is cycling.  Most skimmers take a few days or more to set-in so its better to get it started and working now, so when tank is ready for critters etc it will be already skimming.  Just my thoughts. :)

Good luck with your new tank.

PS, I know what you mean about the liverock, I couldnt wait to get my first ever live rock.  Its simply amazed me the kinds of life you find on the rocks.

the skimmer isn't bad looking, but there is nothing for it to skim as of yet...i need a bit more money before i can get the rock and sand...another $50 outta do it :)

Lunchbucket

i would skim just to get any extra nasties out of there so you can get the good stuff off to a better start and maybe not kill as much

Lunchbucket

Skimming.. can't see any harm in doing it while cycling, so why not.

Inverts, ya, you can add the cheep ones when the tank is starting to stabalize, just remeber that they are very sinsitive to nitrate, much more so then most fish, so keep an eye on it..

Interestingly, i've got a 29g that i just setup a skimmer on it (gen. counter curent), and i noticed that it was producing greeny slime within an hour of operation...this good/bad, need adjustment, or just right?

Archived