Cultivated Reef

ricordia losing color

thisanthrope

I have a red and a green ric that are not as vibrant as they used to be. the red had a mouth that was green and is now more of a yellow. the green just looks lighter all over.

this is a 10 gallon under 96 watt quad. these two are on the bottom and directly under the light.

the only thing Im dosing with is seachem complete to the top off water. inorder to raise calcium, also containing strontium, and magnesium. and I use IO salt mix.

what do you think I could change or start doing to bring the colors back up?

mattie that is too wierd... just about an hour ago I had this thread up and was typing a reply because no one else had given their oppinion in weeks, I wasnt satisfied with just moving them up ( no offense dickie ) because 96 watts is more than plenty in a shallow ten gallon. anyways I deleted it and decided not to post cause I thought I better research feeding some more before posting a stupid question. and here you are reading my mind. :|

I was thinking that it could be a feeding problem....I had started to use micro vert ever since I got the sps and it looked like they, well at least the green was perking up, the red is still pist cause I had to cut him away from the LR to move it up. anyways I have subscribed to the notion that the softies with their zooanthellae didnt need direct feeding. I dont know if its because the other organisms in the water are feeding off the excess micro vert and in effect being fed to the ricordias, or the ricordias themselves are inhaling some of it.... I dont know... good advice and I will try some direct feeding with some things you mentioned

thanks man

Archived