Pod Your Reef

It's here!!! (new Nano-Cube set-up question)

purple_stardust

purple_stardust

My JBJ Nano-Cube arrived today, and I have some questions about setting it up (they didn't exactly knock themselves out with the directions). SO. I have here a mesh bag of ceramic rings, a mesh bag of carbon (I think it's carbon), and six bioballs. There are three compartments in the back (filter section). There is a piece of foam in each compartment.

Question #1: Does one medium go in each compartmant? If so, is there an order as to which one goes in which compartment?

Question #2: Does the medium stay in the mesh bag, or is it dumped into the compartment loose?

Question #3: I know some Nano-Cube owners have taken part of the medium out. Could you tell me why this is, and what exactly to take out / leave in, and does this change where to put the remaining medium?

I hope that all made sense. I'm so giddy about my tank finally getting here, I may be a bit incoherant. =D

purple_stardust

All of it? I thought (from keeping goldfish) that it was good to keep some of the gunk around to create good bacteria...? But then, I never took chemestry, and I ALWAYS get the nitrites/trates thing confused. *sigh*

In the case of freshwater, the media serves the purpose of bioligical filtration. In keeping a nano-reef, the livesand and liverock you put in the system serve this function. Using the ceramic rings and bioballs is counterproductive to allowing the liverock filter to do its job. As Crakeur recommends, ditch the balls and rings.

Eventually, you can use the chambers for chemical media (not necessary starting out) such as carbon, or some of the compounds for removing phosphates and nitrates.

I strongly urge you to pick up this book:

John Tullock's:Natural Reef-Keeping

Also read the getting started articles right here on Nano-Reef.

Nano-Reef Articles

Welcome to the forum, keep asking questions.

I'd recommend the last compartment before the outflow to the tank.

If the carbon is in a mesh bag, give it a good rinse under the tap before adding it and starting up your system. This will avoid 'carbon smog'.

So, give us your laundry list of equipment to get you started?

purple_stardust
Originally posted by palaegic

So, give us your laundry list of equipment to get you started?

Oh, let's see... distilled water, salt mix (obviously), floating hydrometer/thermometer, crushed arogonite coral/sand - I have this stuff so far. I still need to get live rock and test kits and a heater ... and probably a lot of other stuff that I've forgotten.

purple_stardust
Originally posted by palaegic

Put that book I recommended above, on your list too. It's an excellent guide, and resource for livestock.

Thanks palaegic, will do! I just bought "The Conscientous Marine Aquarist" by Robert Fenner, plus a basic book and one just about clownfish, but as soon as I recover from that, I will start another Amazon order... there's a coral book that I want too.

Eric Borneman has a very good book on corals - can certainly find that on Amazon as well.

I can only point out that keeping freshwater, and keeping marine (particularly a reef) is apples and oranges. However, being familiar with the husbandry routine of freshwater (maintenance and water testing) certainly helps when you make the jump to marine. The cardinal rule is: move slowly. Many FW folks are used to the idea of being up and fully stocked within a few weeks. In the case of a nano-reef, all you should be looking at for at least the first month, is a salt-water filled, glass box of sand and smelly rock. Although, even that can be exciting.

Best of luck, keep us posted.

Archived