Innovative Marine Aquariums

Water Testing Cheat Sheet

ToXIc

hey peeps.. i'm new to reefing and i'm putting together myself a cheat sheet for testing my water..

so far this is what i've got...

NOTE: for additions and/or changes please quote the sheet's contents and input in red and i'll update the 1st post...

(Aquarium Parameters) (Reef Aquarium) (FOWLR Aquarium) (Average Level: Coral Reefs)

Specific Gravity 1.023 - 1.025 1.020 - 1.025 1.026

Temperature 72 - 78°F 72 - 78°F 82°F

pH 8.1 - 8.4 8.1 - 8.4 7.5 - 8.5

Alkalinity 8 - 12 dKH 8 - 12 dKH 7 - 11 dKH

Ammonia (NH3) Undetectable Undetectable Near Zero

Nitrite (NO2) Undetectable Undetectable Near Zero

Nitrate - Nitrogen (NO3) < 1.0 ppm < 30 ppm < 0.25 ppm

Phosphate (PO4) < 0.2 ppm < 1.0 ppm < 0.13 ppm

Calcium 350 - 450 ppm 350 - 450 ppm 380 - 420 ppm

Magnesium 1250 - 1350 ppm 1150 - 1350 ppm 1300 ppm

Iodine 0.06 - 0.10 ppm 0.04 - 0.10 ppm 0.06 ppm

Strontium 8 - 14 ppm 4 - 10 ppm 8 - 10 ppm

levels too high

Specific Gravity water changes over a period of days checking each day; add Ro/Di water

Temperature turn down heater (not off.. overnight it may get too cold); open hood; fan to blow over water surface (warning this causes extra evaporation); water chiller or diy equivalent.

pH water changes; Add a solution of calcium hydroxide. It is commonly called kalkwasser or limewater. It helps boost calcium level so ph also increases

Alkalinity

Ammonia (NH3) reduce amount of fish; siphon waste from sand and corals; water change;

Nitrite (NO2) increase bilogical filters; reduce amount of fish; siphon waste from sand and corals; water change

Nitrate - Nitrogen (NO3) water change about 25% every 7-10 days; reduce fish; purchase aquatic species that eat algae, such as Surgeons, Tangs, Rabbitfish and Filefish.

Phosphate (PO4)

Calcium

Magnesium

Iodine

Strontium

TheUnfocusedOne

Umm sure I suppose? What are you trying to accomplish exactly?

You might wanna change your avatar, I don't think admins will appreciate it. I could be wrong though.

Amphiprion1

I'd change several of those parameters, as some either aren't close to natural values or are unnecessary.

Salinity: averages 35 ppt or 1.0264 @ 77 Fahrenheit

Temperature: variable, but reefs and fish in them experience average ~82 degrees.

pH: variable. 7.8-8.5 acceptable, with 8.1-8.3 being closer to natural conditions

Alkalinity: 7-11dKH, with 7 being the average for natural seawater.

Calcium: 380-450 ppm acceptable--obviously not as crucial with only fish

No need to really add or test for strontium or iodine, IMHO. The above info is based on both my chemical oceanography handbook and the same parameters as shown here: http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-05/rhf/index.php

Meengineer0128
No need to really add or test for strontium or iodine, IMHO. The above info is based on both my chemical

+1 to post, though Magnesium levels should be in the ballpark of 1250-1300 ppm. This is important to test for if you have a refugium and especially important to test for if you have Mangroves, as the mag keeps them from going into salt shock, which can deplete it from your system.

Also, instead of kalk you can use a two part solution for PH, ALK, and Calcium. I use B-ionic. I have been using it for years and am very happy with it. Once you zero in exactly how much two part to use, you really can maint. your levels exactly where you want them (granted no disasters like a faulty auto top off :~()

Archived