SaltCritters.com

Base Rock

ReefNewbie

Hey everyone I am almost done with my cycle on my 38 gallon. The tank has around 70 pounds of LR, but wanted to change up the rock a little b/c I don't like the aquascaping. Instead of buying more LR (3 mantis's so far), I was thinking about buying some base rock and having the LR seed it over time. Would there be a curing process for the base rock, and would it throw my cycle off (trites and trates coming down)? Basically what I'm getting at is, can I add the base rock and continue the tank from where it's at now? Any help will be appreciated!!

The answer is ... it depends. If you are buying "uncured" baserock and add it to your tank, you will most certainly spike ammonia and start a new cycle.

If the base rock you are adding has been sitting in someone elses tank for some time, meaning it is cured, then it is still very likely that you will experience a mini-cycle proportionate to the amount of rock that you add.

Either way, wait it out. Make sure that your water chemistry is in check prior to adding any livestock.

Good luck with your aquascaping.

Hey Crakeur that's what I meant.....I meant dead base rock. Would I expect to see a mini cycle with dead base rock or would it just get seeded by the live rock?

Yup, it will reseed. Given that you are on the tail end of a cycle, add the rock and give it a couple of days - just for safety's sake.

Do let us know ...

just remember, base rock can be a HUGE host for pest algae in the future. this is because it is not covered in anything, and the fastest growers host it first. and the fastest growers are usually pest algae's. you should put it BELOW (under) the LR so it gets less light. and get a big enough clean up crew to make up for increased work.

just something to think about.

nalbar

Archived