Coral Vue Hydros

Cycling ?'s for 5.5 nano

mapv281

1) I have a Hagen 201 PH running with venturi air valve on, is this good while cycling (or at all)?

2) I have been cycling my tank for 3 days now, water looks good and very clean, my sand has settled, rock looks healthy, ph, salt are on track where they should be (8.0-8.2 range and 1.022-1.025), when is a good time to start adding light? I was planning on waiting a week, then start running 4 hour cycles in the beginning and increasing daily until i get to 8-10 hrs/day. Is this good?

Using the venturi feed on the Hagen ph will have no impact upon your cycle. If in fact, it is covering your tank with a fine spray of bubbles, I recommend removing it.

There is no harm in following the lighting cycle you have outlined, nor is there any harm in starting your incremental photoperiods now. One way or the other, you are likely to incur an algal bloom as part of your cycle. Obviously you can minimize the impact of any bloom by monitoring nitrate and phosphate, as well as your photoperiod.

Sounds like you are off to a good start.

Welcome to the club and everything sounds good! Keep your urges in check and patience will pay off big time.

Hope to see some pics in the 5.5 thread!

thanks guys, I'm being very patient with this project, I don't want to rush anything, I want to do it right, I know the smaller the harder it is to maintain, so I'm being very careful and following what I've read, I will put up a page with pics/etc when I start adding more stuff after my cycling is done (1-1.5 mo. from now just to play it safe)

Archived