Innovative Marine Aquariums

What do you guys/girls think of this kit?

fastredponycar

fastredponycar

I've got a 29 gal aquarium looking to get a reef going and need opinions on what type of lighting I need. I've got a 20watt coralife high output 10,000 k bulb right now but that's not enough so I thought I'd get my hands dirty and do a DIY kit. I really don't have the funds for a metal halide kit so I thought a power compact setup would be the next best thing.

Since I can't find any twin bulb pre assembled fixtures in the size that I need with the wattage that I've been recommended, the DIY kit is pretty much my only option.

After a little research, I've found this

http://www.marinedepot.com/a_lt_pc_pfo.asp?CartId=

I'm thinking of getting the 2X96 watt kits. Will this be sufficient or overkill?

Also, do these PC lights need cooling fans like the halide lamps?

One more thing: If anyone knows of where I can find a 25~28 ish inch long fixture with twin high wattage bulbs that requires little assembly, post a link for me. Thanks!

From what i'm looking at, the 2x95 watt is about $184?

check out DIYreef.com you can get a 250 watt metal halide retrofit, complete with ballest, reflector, socket, and bulb (10,000L 15,000K or 20,000K your choice) for only $180

http://www.diyreef.com/shop/index.php?cPath=39

this is what i'm going to do when i set up my 28gallon bowfront, then you could keep almost anything

Reefer_Buddha

ya, have to agree, for that amount you can get a decent halide setup. Then you wont have to resell those pc's later when you want halide, and trust me, you will want it later :)

Yeah I would definitely go for the halides.

Originally posted by Carl_in_Florida

Aren't 96 watt bulbs 48"?

Not the 96w quad bulbs which are about 17".

fastredponycar

me and another guy are looking into DIY mh kits. Either that or looking at just getting the supplies from a lighting contractor or something like that.

Archived