inTank Media Baskets

20000k - 10000k

drdrew

i just changed out my 20000k DE 159 watt bulb with a new 10000k ushio.

very much color difference, as we would suspect.

i know the PAR should be better.....should i expect faster growth rates for zoos and sps?

The general rule seems to be lower K, faster growth, less intense coral coloration.

I read a coral propagation article posted by Bird, I believe, that recommended using 6500K bulbs for fast grow-out, and a higher K bulb for coloring up prior to market.

Reefer_Buddha

ill be using a 10k ushio but will supplement with 2 36w actinic. With 20k you really dont need that but what dingo said covers it all.

that combo should be very nice.

"The general rule seems to be lower K, faster growth, less intense coral coloration.

I read a coral propagation article posted by Bird, I believe, that recommended using 6500K bulbs for fast grow-out, and a higher K bulb for coloring up prior to market." --Dingo

Just to point out, changing bulbs color has nothing to do with the color of the corals from the pigment standpoint. There is no "coloring in" phase with corals. I forget where I just read it...prolly in the myths part 3 article of reefkeeping magazine.

There is better PAR and growth with less K, peaking around 6500K, but less than that actually causes a loss in spectrum most needed for photosynthesis...it just goes yellow. So a 4000K is going to have less PAR then. PAR is really just measuring that "sweet-spot" somewhere in the middle.

I disagree that the spectrum of lighting provided does not influence coral pigmentation. There is quite a bit of evidence that corals produce protective pigmentation in the presence of blue spectrum light.

Also, although I didn't say it, I agree with you that if you go too low on K, you end up with less useable light for photosynthesis.

Archived