Coral Vue Hydros

6 Gal ViaAqua filter questions

banditfl

I am new to this Reef aquarium thing. I have a 6 gal ViaAqua with full hood and intergrated filter.

setup:

stock filter

stock lighting (soon to Be upgraded)

20lbs live sand.

6lbs live rock

5 Hermits

2 turbo or astrea snails

3 nassarius snails

Misc. other very small hitchikers

I am running all the media in my filter. The stock filter provides very good water movement. I looked in my filter today I noticed several small Copepods, other small Crustaceans, and small worms in there.

I was wondering if I should remove all the media so these creatures do not get stuck in the filter? Or leave some in for mechanical filtration?

depends on the media.

i general, we don't use any mechanical filtration because it traps food/detritus that would otherwise be eaten by our scavengers.

these trapped particles break down and can add to overall poorer water quality.

so floss or other mechanical medias are generally removed.

second what the doc said. You want to avoid any medium used becoming a biological filter. If you continue to use the filter media, make sure you have a good nitrate kit - keep a close eye on the levels as your tank ages.

On the other hand, it is unlikely that you will experience any negative effects from removing the media.

Thanks for your feedback. That is what I thought after reading other threads. I will probably remove the media and just use the factory filter for water movement. Possibly modify the filter to maintain a high water level even if not running and put my heater in it. That is if vis therm heaters work good horizontal

Archived