Pod Your Reef

Snails breeding??

Iphantom

I was just watching my tank tonight (or this morning -it's like 5am)

and I noticed this little tiny shell moving around on the rocks so I picked him up and it was a little baby snail about the size of a pencil eraser-hes really cute

but my question is did my snails mate? are snails A sexual(do they not need a partner?) how often to they have babies? how many do they have? I have never heard of this happening to anyone--anyone have any links about it?

where did he get his little shell from? do snails make there own shells?

how often does it happen?

any info would be nice

thanks

btw-I know I haven't posted here in a while(like a month or 2)

I haven't posted because I haven't had any questions and my tank is doing PERFECT-every thing is in perfect balance (finally)

I suppose that means I am becoming more of a novice or at least less of a beginner

oh and my six line wrasse is doing very well he very much enjoys his nano reef I suggest this fish for anyone who has a 7 gallon or higher - he is very active colorful and full of personality I am going to add more corals soon

I will be updating my site soon and I will post a bunch of pics

-Matt

It depends on the type of snails. Stromatellas breed like crazy, and usually come for free on the LR. I have several types of tiny snails proliferating also.

Margaritas, Astreas, Limpets and Turbos will not breed for you. They will try, however, and you may see them "blowing smoke" into the water column.

Could also be a macarene snail. Nocturnal, so you rarely see them and the adults only grow to about the size of a pencil eraser. Also very prolific snails.

Archived