Top Shelf Aquatics

Red Sea Pro vs NeoMarine

GiantBen

Anyone have experience with both?

I started on RedSea, and feel like I had amazing growth. I switched to NeoMarine, and feel like my coral growth has dropped off a but. Around the same time I also switched to nanotuners bulbs instead of Coralife bulbs, but I don't think that would be the cause.

Opinions?

BLoCkCliMbeR
Glad to see that new members have got the NR memo: "Be a dick as often as possible."

:lol:

seriously though, i made the switch from reef crystals to neomarine, and was disapointed....

brightwell usually makes good stuff, but the salt fell short.

:lol:

seriously though, i made the switch from reef crystals to neomarine, and was disapointed....

brightwell usually makes good stuff, but the salt fell short.

I'm thinking about getting some more RSP and if things come around a little in a few week, tossing my second half bucket of NeoMarine.

Glad to see that new members have got the NR memo: "Be a dick as often as possible."

I wouldnt be too offended by a guy with a name like (oYo). Obviously there are some maturity issues going on there.

I wouldnt be too offended by a guy with a name like (oYo). Obviously there are some maturity issues going on there.

I'm not offended. Just seems lately every thread I read has someone come in early and crap on it. New people seem all to happy to jump on the band wagon. I know people here like the "freedom" NR offers over some other sites, but the mods here really don't seem to be too interested in keeping much order. My $0.02.

Back on topic: I might link RedSeaKev to this, and see what he has to say.

I'm not offended. Just seems lately every thread I read has someone come in early and crap on it. New people seem all to happy to jump on the band wagon. I know people here like the "freedom" NR offers over some other sites, but the mods here really don't seem to be too interested in keeping much order. My $0.02.

Back on topic: I might link RedSeaKev to this, and see what he has to say.

I see your point sometimes threads turn into dump fests.

Anyway

Due to the nature of salts and how some people have success with them and some wont, I would just stick with what works for you. Salt is fairly inexpensive (especially if you just buy 50 lb bags) so I tend to throw out or just put left overs in storage if I dont like the results.

I was thinking about using red sea salt but I heard the kH was very low. How have you found it?

I see your point sometimes threads turn into dump fests.

Anyway

Due to the nature of salts and how some people have success with them and some wont, I would just stick with what works for you. Salt is fairly inexpensive (especially if you just buy 50 lb bags) so I tend to throw out or just put left overs in storage if I dont like the results.

I was thinking about using red sea salt but I heard the kH was very low. How have you found it?

I'm finding my KH to be low with the NeoMarine. I dont't recall testng much with the RSP, but then again, I didn't have a reason to :)

I need to buy some product from the Drs, so I'll probably get some RSP while I am at it. If I don't see a big difference I'll continue to use both salts.

Reefmonster
Yah another salt thread

Maybe the moon phases changed

Always such a pleasure to read your posts. Maybe you ought to visit Troll.com...you would be welcomed there.

@ OP,

Of the two mentioned, I'd use Red Sea. Better Quality Control, IMO. I've been to the Eilat facility and it was clean, clean, clean. Not sure if the salt is made there, but that place left a very nice first impression on me. I think RS products are top notch for sure!

I was using Red Sea Salt before.

Anyone know what the difference between this and Red Sea Coral Pro Salt is?

BLoCkCliMbeR
I was using Red Sea Salt before.

Anyone know what the difference between this and Red Sea Coral Pro Salt is?

calcium levels? :huh: i know some salts are formulated for folks using Ca reactors

callmesaul8889
I'm finding my KH to be low with the NeoMarine. I dont't recall testng much with the RSP, but then again, I didn't have a reason to :)

I need to buy some product from the Drs, so I'll probably get some RSP while I am at it. If I don't see a big difference I'll continue to use both salts.

i use NeoMarine and everythings spot on. KH is around 13 every water change

callmesaul8889
That's odd I have to dose up to 9.

when i got it, i was expecting to have to dose calcium because i heard it always mixed low.. but to my surprise, every mix reads about 420, PH around 8.2, KH 12-14, and thats at around 1.026.

BLoCkCliMbeR

mine test ok, but it has failed to deliver, i dunno what is wrong with it, but since the change, the tank has been POd.... and this was over a couple months period.

it could be operator error on my part :lol: but i usually can handle mixin water....

callmesaul8889
mine test ok, but it has failed to deliver, i dunno what is wrong with it, but since the change, the tank has been POd.... and this was over a couple months period.

it could be operator error on my part :lol: but i usually can handle mixin water....

oh another thing i read is that this salt is really concentrated, and that you should mix this salt for a longer period of time before introducing it to your tank. i usually mix for 24 hrs if i have the time, otherwise my tank will let me know :)

BLoCkCliMbeR

i bought a big ass bag of it, trust me, ive had time to try that too.... the batches dont seem consistently mixed. idk...ive mixed it for longer than 24hrs, nothing has died, and it mixes clear, but the tank just seems off since i made the switch....

maybe i just cant keep up with the stony corals :lol:

i use to mix 50% regular instant ocean and 50% oceanic and had no problems for years....maybe ill go back to that...

callmesaul8889
i bought a big ass bag of it, trust me, ive had time to try that too.... the batches dont seem consistently mixed. idk...ive mixed it for longer than 24hrs, nothing has died, and it mixes clear, but the tank just seems off since i made the switch....

maybe i just cant keep up with the stony corals :lol:

i use to mix 50% regular instant ocean and 50% oceanic and had no problems for years....maybe ill go back to that...

yeah, whatever works for you! the only reason im sticking to this for now is because all of the readings are good (and cuz i still about 10 gallons worth of salt left :D)

Archived