ReefCleaners.org

Live rock looks white??

MrNano

Hello, when I first got my live rock it look very nice with the brown and purple colors then I have the diotoms breakout so I added some snails to clean it up. They are doing the job but my Live rock is starting to look white with the purple is this normal or ok for it to look this way???

Thank Tony

MrNano

It looks like there is sand all over your rock. If that's not the case then I think that either it is just the normal part of the cycle or you have a hitchhiker urchin cleaning your rocks. I had one in my old tank and it made my rocks look just like that.

That's dead coraline algae . . it turns white when it dies off - common if its new LR and the tank is cycling. It will eventually come back. It's the purple stuff you had all over your LR when you got it.

d.

yes it had purple stuff on the rock when I got it. now it looks like there is just a little more purple but it might have been there all along, I just want to make sure that the snails are not ruining the LR

Greetings. This thread was very helpful. I also bought some nice LR with green, purple and red, but during its cycle, much of it has died off (this is the 3rd week).

I'm posting some pics below which shows something interesting... Although the green bulbous coraline is almost gone, a smaller rock at the bottom of the tank seems to doing okay (although covered with brown algae during this cycle).

The purple is barely surving, but is partially bleaching to a light purple in some parts.

I hope it all comes back as noted in this thread.

I've had this happen to my LR and I've used Coral Vital from Marc Weiss products. After about a month and a half of treatment, the purple coralline algae really comes on strong. BTW, I don't work for any fish product companies, I'm just a hobbyist like yourself, and I highly recommend it to fix your problem.

Thanks for all the responses. The Coral Vital is a good tip... I was planning to get that once the tank got more established... but could use it earlier if people think it's safe to use during a cycle?

Archived