Coral Vue Hydros

JBJ NanoCube Water Volume

PaulP

I have really been enjoying my new JBJ nano-cube. But noticed a few strange things:

1) has anyone gotten JBJ to acknowledge or answer an email?

2) has anyone figured out how they can claim it to be a 12g tank. Every time I try to put 12 gallons into mine, I end up with about 3gallons flowing onto the floor:P

3) anytime I try to do a search, I need to search for "nano", then "nano-cube", then "nanocube". we all need to either chip in and come up with a better search engine for the board or start calling it the same thing

Just some thoughts

anyone need the extra three gallons, I've gotten most of it out of the carpet now.

Paul:rant:

you displaced the 3 gals with sand and live rock. infact when mine only had sand and live rock and I filled it for the first time it took exactly 9 gallons.

jbj is an operation that is in SoCal and they usually only talk to distributors. When my ballast went out I tried in vain to contact them. Finally I went to a wholesaler that is local and within one day he had my ballast back and fixed so...there you have it. They like to remain elusive I guess.

I emailed them and received a reply within a day. Must be lucky....

FYI - I got another 24 watt ballast from them...they sell them for $20. JBJ Item code # RP-NANO-BALLAST cost is $20 + $5 S/H.

Originally posted by JLTRUK

you displaced the 3 gals with sand and live rock.  infact when mine only had sand and live rock and I filled it for the first time it took exactly 9 gallons.

JL,

You missed the point and your math is flawed. The bare tank, nothing in it, will only hold 9 gals. When you add rock and sand you displace an equal amount for that, meaning you have even less water.

Bottom line, JBJ is advertising 12 gal, in reality, it is only a 9

Paul P

Actually I measured the tank including the filter area. It is exactly 10.56 gallons. When figuring out water volume use this formula: W x D X H / 230 = Gallons. There's 230 cubic inches of water per gallon. The glass of the tank is 13.5" wide, 15"deep, and 12" tall so

13.5x15x12=2430/230=10.56 gallons.

Originally posted by PaulP

JL,

You missed the point and your math is flawed. The bare tank, nothing in it, will only hold 9 gals. When you add rock and sand you displace an equal amount for that, meaning you have even less water.

Bottom line, JBJ is advertising 12 gal, in reality, it is only a 9

Paul P

Paul, bottom line...its not a big deal. I thought maybe I could help ya out there bro with throwing out a posible reason as to why its been displaced. If you want to make an issue with JBJ over the roughly 1 gal of tank space they have short changed you by all means call em up and give em hell.

Blinkgyrl2987

Question my light just blew out also after one month! To the guys whose blew out can you tell me whether you think its the bulb thats screwed or the ballast? I'm sure you know about the condensation that builds up on the hood every night... I was afraid that this might be causing problems..... maybe water got up there? I DON"T KNOW! I am just getting so sick of this tank now... I started out loving it but the reality of this tank is hitting me..... I found that I have to leave the lid open so the condensation doesn't build up as much..... But anyways let me know thanks! ~MEgan

mine went out a few weeks after I purchased it. I took it back to the LFS they replaced it in one day for free.

I have no complaints about my tank. it was 100 bucks...cant really ask for much more than what it has in it. mine is a little over 5 months old now and everything is doing great.

I managed to get two responses from JBJ. I asked about upgrading lights (because I want to add a clam). They said they have kept a clam in there tank for eight months and that it is doing great. They also told me that I could buy ballast or bulbs from them directly.

Sometimes ballast and bulbs go out when you inadverantly close, hit or drop the canopy. It happened to my 60G tank. Everytime I would go out of town my brother would feed the fish and of course, everytime I would have to change a bulb.

Hellolights carries a sweet Aro light fixture that will fit into a nanocube. It holds two 28watt bulbs and the ballast can be placed on the floor behind your setup. The only issue could be the heat.

I don't know if this is true with fish tanks but with cars, motorcycles and other stuff, manufacturers do tend to hype up there product. They probably should have called it an 11 gallon nanocube.

By the way one of the LFS told me that JBJ is coming out with a new nanocube sometime this year/ next year. It is supposed to be the same size as the nanocube only it comes with two lights, and fans, and I believe they fixed the filter problem.

According to my LFS, JBJ is working on a 25 gallon tank based on the nano cube-type platform. I think they said the prototype had two 36-watt PCs w/fans.

Originally posted by oflores

I managed to get two responses from JBJ. I asked about upgrading lights (because I want to add a clam). They said they have kept a clam in there tank for eight months and that it is doing great.

If they claim a clam can live in a nano with the stock 24W of PC for 8 months, I respectfully say Bull-Hockey :o

Archived