Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

What clownfish do you have, and why?

AquaJamieB

My tank is cycled and ready for its first fish. I think a Clown will be that first fish. My questions are What clownfish do you have? and why did you choose that over the other species of clownfish? my tank is a 20 long, btw. Thanks.

i like a. percula because it has more black. very pretty fish imo but yeah.... maroons are pretty until they grow too big as well. full grown black ocellaris clowns are also pretty.

I'm a tomato, percula, and clarkii fan myself. I have all 3 types my three tanks. They all have their good personality traits but the percula's are my favorite....

Cameron

Carl_in_Florida

This is a great thread question. I am looking to get a Black & White Percula Clownfish. I would love to have a gold stripe maroon but I know they get to big.

I have 2 false percs, and 1 maroon (in diffrent tanks) I think the maroons are much better looking fish, but my percs are a happy couple so they get to stay! If I could start a new, I would have gone Black Occelaris, or Tomato Clowns, or Skunk.

I have a gold banded maroon in my 40 gal. I like those or the black and white percs, the store didn't have them though so I got the maroon. He's so much fun.

I ended up getting a False Percula (Ocellaris). One lfs had them for $24.99, another had them for $17.99. I got mine and another lfs even......for $12.00.

I am pretty torn on this. I want a pair, but am agonizing over the standard and black ocellaris.

Anyone see a problem with a mixed pair? Same species, so hybridation wouldn't be a problem,, right? That's assuming they even spawn successfully without any help from me...

Ian

I have a false perc b/c my girlfriend thought Nemo was SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO cool. Luckily I saved him from being Named "Nemo," but oh well. I might trade him in on a pink skunk or a saddleback when she's not looking. I guess we'll just have to see how he takes to his new BTA in the next month.

-Justin

I got a tank raised pink skunk. Lots of personality, likes to nip at my hands when I have to move something or put something in the tank. Wish I woulda bought two though.

after much discussion i decided on one perc. clown. but am beginning to really regret not getting a pair.

my advice would be get a pair or percs. they dont grow as big as the other varieties and with two small perc you may still have room for one other fish in a 15g. depending on the fish.

if you would prefer only one clown i really love the tomato clown, although then you have to consider how big it is going to grow and take that into consideration when getting another fish. also remember that clowns are generally fairly agressive so be careful if you are thinking of putting other species in the tank with a clown.

whatever you do dont leave a clown in a tank by itself, it seems so cruel, i found that mine became a whole different fish when it had some company.

goodluck

thakidistight

I have a black and white perc and just a normal perc and they get along great, always swimming around with each other. For the first few hours they didnt know what to think of each other but now they get along famously. I wouldnt reccomend mixing species though, I only did it because they are close enough that it wouldnt be a problem.

• 2 weeks later...
Blinkgyrl2987

wow I didn't know it was okay to mix the black perc with orange percs? Thats cool though..I wanna do that now! I had the idea before but someone told me no.

Megan~`

• 2 weeks later...

My first 2 fish were Ocellaris clowns, but became prey to an Emerald Crab...but that was over 6 months ago, and you have to move on. Since then, I've stayed away from Clowns, but if I ever got a pair, I'd definitely go for Tomatos or Skunks. Maroons and Percs (true and False) are too common for me...they are the standard fish you see in marine tanks, and for some reason that repells me from them. Ciannmons are also nice, but I would prefer the Tomato- and Clarkii are just ugly. Other rare species are nice, but hard to get a handle on. Tomato's are best looking IMO, Pinks have great personalities though! Hopefully I'll be able to set up a species tank for a pair of either of these clowjn species in the future, with a host anenome.

Once my tank is up and running I think I am going to go with a pair of Allard's Clownfish.

http://animal-world.com/encyclo/marine/clo...wns/allards.php

I've had some of the other clowns mentioned above and the Percs are awesome fish. The Maroons are great but they get big and are pretty aggressive. I think Sebaes were good fish as well but mine never hosted in any of the anenomes I bought.

FWIW, there's nothing cruel about having a single clown. Mine hosts quite happily in a frogspawn and he's buddies with the little clown goby. Mine is an ORA captive bred a.percula. I chose an ORA fish since Brooknella has been rampant among WC clownfish for several months now. JHardman says that he believes that 90% of all WC clownfish are carrying it. It's a bad disease, and they go down fast if you don't treat in the first 24 hours. If you buy WC then you should do a fresh water dip, and then QT the fish for 4-6 weeks. Brook is contagious.

In addition, I believe that CB percs are friendlier (mine eats out of my hand right away) and healthier in general.

If I could find one, I'd have a Solomon Island a.percula for the beautiful coloring, but I would QT the fish for 6 weeks.

WIth all the CB clowns out there now I cannot understand why one would buy a WC one.

My first saltwater fish was an Ocellaris clown. She and my bi colored blenny were my favotires. I added two more Ocellaris' to the tank. What a site. I was quite upset when I had to sell the setup a few years back before moving.

I just setup a Nano Cube and have a tiny Perc now. He/She is less than an inch, and beautiful. But he/she is acting very lonely. I'll ahve to get a tank mate for him.

I've had a lot more "Difficult" SW fish before but the clowns will always be my favorites. Especially the Ocellaris' and Percs.

Zak

Okay I am not going to bullcarp with you

I have extreme expereince with the Perculas

If you want to breed them go with Ocellaris the male percs are hopless female chasers. Second Of all THER IS NO SUCH THING AS A BLACK OCELLARIS IT IS A PURE BLACK PERCULA OCELLARIS CLOWNS ARE NOT BLACK UNLESS YOU HAVE GONE THROUGH 20 GENERATIONS TOO GET THEM BLACK AND PEOPLE HAVENT BEEN SUCCESSFULLY BREEDING CLOWNS THAT LONG.

finally got that off my chest it just really ####es me off when people call ocellaris clowns perculas when they should be Ocellaris. I find that the Ocellaris are more of a family pet they come to see you when u walk up to the tank faster than a Percula will.

Is it true that percs are not as hardy as ocellaris? I'd really love to have a percula clown(just love their brilliant coloration), but I settled for an ocellaris instead because I feared that I wasn't too experienced in fish-keeping.

I have a pair of juvenile black percs that have SO much personality! i think my fave's would have to be the blacks, then the ocellaris, and then the pink skunk....

theclearblue
THER IS NO SUCH THING AS A BLACK OCELLARIS IT IS A PURE BLACK PERCULA OCELLARIS CLOWNS ARE NOT BLACK UNLESS YOU HAVE GONE THROUGH 20 GENERATIONS TOO GET THEM BLACK AND PEOPLE HAVENT BEEN SUCCESSFULLY BREEDING CLOWNS THAT LONG.

Actually, there is such a thing as a black ocellaris, in fact they're not very hard to find. I've spent quite a bit of time looking at these for my tank that's cycling.

Reference (from the guys who know): http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.p...black+ocellaris

Quote: "I agree I would like to see some WC black A. ocellaris too. The CB line started from just a hand full of pairs in AU some years ago. To the best of my knowledge only ORA as refreshed their brood stock with WC fish and frankly it shows big time in the quality of their stock. Frankly they are HARD HARD to find. I have contacted a half a dozen wholesalers/collectors in AU. All of them can deliver CB fish all day long, but only a couple have ever said that they might be able to get WC stock."

From JHardman - owner of clownfishdirect.com

Archived