Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Fuge in sump or HOB?

HumblePie

So I've read (and read and read) many of the variations for a refugium. However, I am still puzzled over one simple question. Should I put the fuge in the sump or HOB. I am leaning toward the sump but have heard that there can be up to 90% die off of pods, etc. when using a sump because of impeller trauma. Since a HOB uses gravity, the die off is minimal. Is there another plumbing method to not send the fuge return through an impeller?

Sump:

will probably use a 15g divided into sections giving between 5-6g fuge (maybe a little more once I do the math)

HOB:

CPR AquaFuge 24" (I think someone posted that it is about 5g)

So what do folks recommend I do go with the fuge in the sump or HOB?

first off, give details about your tank

hmm, i'd say go with the sump style refugium, sure, you'll chop your pods up, but that really won't affect anything unless you're trying to keep a mandarin or something. a hang on back would be more conveinient during the setup process (you just kinda set it up), but it might be more restrictive in terms of whatever you might place inside of it. a sump, however, would be more of a pain to setup (includes drilling/ overflows/siphons and such), but, you'll have greater flexibility throughout, like, you'll be able to, depending on your particular setup, have mangroves or something that probably couldn't be done in a HOB. also a sump would give your choice of water volume, and depending on how you set it up, could be more functional (you could perform water changes there, setup an auto topoff, acclimate new fish...and more).

but, for a more specific answer, post what your intentions are for the tank and the refugium, do you want the refugium to export nutrients, or do you want to culture pods? do you want a deep sand bed? or do you simply want increased water volume? also, what livestock do you wish to have? HTH

I put mine in my sump. I have heard that hang on backs don't work very well. The best way is to put it above the tank, pump the water into it, and use gravity to return. Personally, I think it is fine to leave it in the sump.

Sorry 'bout that. My plans are to use a 29L for the display tank and a 15g for the sump. If I do the refugium in the sump, it will need to share space with a skimmer (probably AquaC Urchin). Not a problem since I'll create baffles and partitions. My main goal is to house a couple clown fish w/ soft and hard corals and use the refugium to remove nitratesfilter toxins and supply the coralsfish with supplemental food. My lighting will be originally a single 150 MH with 2 VHO actinics, expanding to 2 MH down the road. For pumps, I'm looking at a Mag 2 or 3 for the skimmer and a Mag 7 (or 9) for the return.

i made my own fuge H.O.B. i pump the water in and let gravity do the rest, if i have a power faliure while im at work or in the middle of the night i wont walk in to the living room full salt water and DEAD critters:o something else to think about huh?? FLOODING........................................................................

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Archived