SaltCritters.com

Chemistry problems

andyb

Hello all,

I am going on 4 years with my 75g mixed tank and have done fairly well outside of few nuisance algae problems. My favia, star polyps, and trachaphylia have receded and begun to lose tissue over the past 2 months. I must admit, I have been really poor about checking my parameters (other than salinity) because corals and fish had been thriving.

Okay, here are my concerning test reading with Salifert kits...

Alk- dKH 5.9

Mg- 590

Ca- 290

*Reef Crystals salt with 10% water change every 2-3wks

Where do I begin to correct this mess?

Thanks a ton

Holy Cow Dude!

Are you sure the test #'s are right?

Are the kits expired?

Since you're close to me, if you bring me a water sample I'll re-test all of that for you on my own Salifert test kits that I know are not expired.

Just LMK if you want me to, I'm usually home.

Holy Cow Dude!

Are you sure the test #'s are right?

Are the kits expired?

Since you're close to me, if you bring me a water sample I'll re-test all of that for you on my own Salifert test kits that I know are not expired.

Just LMK if you want me to, I'm usually home.

The kits are not expired; however the alk and ca test were in my garage for a good year and exposed to temp extremes. I may take you up on testing my water. Maybe I can bring a water sample with me tomorrow and have you check it.

In the meantime, should I attempt to add some supplements (mg, ca, alk buffer)?

Thanks

skimlessinseattle

Those numbers aren't too shocking for a 4 year old mixed reef that has had no supplementation. 10% water changes alone are just not enough for mature mixed reefs.

I would strongly consider getting on a solid 2 part and magnesium dosing schedule. I think your water change schedule is adequate for water quality, but it cannot keep up with your tanks growth demands.

Double checking the numbers is always a good idea when the option is available, so def do that.

Try this

although supplementation should be ideal in the long term i would be more concerned for short term problems for now.

Personally i would step up on the water changes, starting with a series of water changes during the following days to bring those levels back to acceptable levels. Then take it from there with dosing

Those numbers aren't too shocking for a 4 year old mixed reef that has had no supplementation. 10% water changes alone are just not enough for mature mixed reefs.

I would strongly consider getting on a solid 2 part and magnesium dosing schedule. I think your water change schedule is adequate for water quality, but it cannot keep up with your tanks growth demands.

Double checking the numbers is always a good idea when the option is available, so def do that.

Try this

Thanks for the input... I checked out the link to BRS you provided. Their 2 part kit looks like a great deal. I have an R/O unit from BRS and have been really happy with the quality.

By the way... can those numbers I have be correct? It seems horrible! I just hope I haven't gotten myself in a hole and may end up losing a bunch of coral while I get this corrected.

depends on the tank inhabitants and conditions.

As a comparison, my 15g is fully stocked with LPS and the Ca and Mg drop by ~50 and ~150 respectively per week, taking 10% weekly changes into account. I will be making a Ca reactor to keep up with the usage but for now i am forced to do larger WC's and use supplements.

Amphiprion1
Well that's why I wanted to double check your numbers.

I agree. Those numbers are extremely low. Double check them before you add anything to the tank. In the meantime, a series of larger water changes will be a bit easier to raise those levels and establish a baseline. If you are concerned about the varying parameters and a quicker transition, you can opt for the slower method, which would be to use additives to slowly ramp the concentrations back to normal levels. Either way, you should get a second opinion/test to ensure that those numbers are correct before you do anything.

Edit: also, depending upon what salinity you mix your seawater, those parameters can vary wildly. Be sure that you are mixing to ~1.026 to get more appropriate parameters and that what you are using to measure it is accurate and calibrated.

I agree. Those numbers are extremely low. Double check them before you add anything to the tank. In the meantime, a series of larger water changes will be a bit easier to raise those levels and establish a baseline. If you are concerned about the varying parameters and a quicker transition, you can opt for the slower method, which would be to use additives to slowly ramp the concentrations back to normal levels. Either way, you should get a second opinion/test to ensure that those numbers are correct before you do anything.

Edit: also, depending upon what salinity you mix your seawater, those parameters can vary wildly. Be sure that you are mixing to ~1.026 to get more appropriate parameters and that what you are using to measure it is accurate and calibrated.

Thanks Amphi-- I plan to double check the parameters. I'll continue to post with my readings. Water changes at 1.026 seems like a good plan as well.

i

I had a similar problem with my 95 gallon that's been up for 2 years. I dosed a lot in the beginning and got into the bad habits of reducing my weekly dosing schedule. The fastest and safest way to rebalance your system is to do 20-30% water changes every other day for 3-4 weeks. It should help get your systems parameters raised to an acceptable level and then test your water again. The parameters should be closer to ideal and then setup a dosing schedule to stablize or increase your parameters to what you want.

I do 30% water changes every 2 weeks now and have a pretty regular dosing schedule using 2-parts, Mg, Strontium, Iodine, Coral Vite, and Trace elements. Sometimes I have to dose additional Ca to get it back to 430, but it works once you get it all stable.

Last thing you want to do is have to dump a bottle of Ca, Mg, and Alk buffer and try to play with getting your parameters up. You'll be more likely to get Alk swings. Water changes and monitoring should suffice right now and is a lot less stressful on your corals. Good luck...

I had a similar problem with my 95 gallon that's been up for 2 years. I dosed a lot in the beginning and got into the bad habits of reducing my weekly dosing schedule. The fastest and safest way to rebalance your system is to do 20-30% water changes every other day for 3-4 weeks. It should help get your systems parameters raised to an acceptable level and then test your water again. The parameters should be closer to ideal and then setup a dosing schedule to stablize or increase your parameters to what you want.

I do 30% water changes every 2 weeks now and have a pretty regular dosing schedule using 2-parts, Mg, Strontium, Iodine, Coral Vite, and Trace elements. Sometimes I have to dose additional Ca to get it back to 430, but it works once you get it all stable.

Last thing you want to do is have to dump a bottle of Ca, Mg, and Alk buffer and try to play with getting your parameters up. You'll be more likely to get Alk swings. Water changes and monitoring should suffice right now and is a lot less stressful on your corals. Good luck...

Thanks... As much as I don't want to do a bunch of water changes... It appears to be the safest way to get things back on track. My laziness and inattention over the year has caught up with me so I need to do the work.

Archived