Innovative Marine Aquariums

when to add ro water

fuzzyfroboy

i knwo this sounds stupid but i am actually serious. i know that you are supposed ot put r.o water in when some water evaporates but i do water changes like everyweek and so i don't know how much evaporated. when does everybody else put thers in.

p.s. i have a 12 gallon nano cube and have a big canopy

I found myself adding about a cup and a half of water every day to my tank. If you aren't up for that or will be away from the tank on say vacation for any length of time I highly reccommend an auto top off system like the one that physh1 sells at california reefs. excellent product.

if you are just doing water changes to bring the water level up, then your salinity will go through the roof.

keep tank at a constant level...daily or every other day addition of make up water at the least in a 12 gallon

Yep. Use the rim or a piece of scotch tape to mark the level and topoff daily. Your specific gravity should not vary more than .001 (or better, .0005).

What they said:D. You need to check your salinity....if your doing water changes and not figuring in the evaporated water your salinity is likely quite higher than it should be.

Cameron

If you don't know how to check your salinity then how do you know what the SG is of you change water? How did you know how much salt to add to the water for you initial water fill?

If you don't even know how to check your SG, or even that there IS such a test, PLEASE go do some research before you do ANYTHING else.

Eeeek! Get yourself a hydrometer to test it. Even though you bought premixed don't assume it was done right. Do you have any reef related books? If not, I'd recommend picking one or two up and if you already have some I'd go over the basics again.

Cameron

the rim job, huh boys... well at least you two love each other...

and what ever did happen to those losses, talk to lee?

sorry... just had to after hitting this link from jct...

Archived