ReefCleaners.org

Yet Another Creature ID

hhasty79

Okay, this thing is about 3/4" long, with two rows of bristles, very flat, colored so that it blends with the coralline, comes out at night and cruises *very* slowly around the rock. (I mean, check when lights out and then again in half an hour, and it's moved half an inch).

First picture is uncorrected, sorry it's a bit blurry...

abolone? or some sort like it i think..does it havea hard shell? and the shell look like splates lining downward...(<<<<<<) like the but vertical..?

LOL @ OScarbeast...somebody set us up the bomb!

The thing doesn't *look* hard like it has a shell, but I suppose it could...I haven't caught it munching corals or anything so I guess I'll just keep an eye on it. Chiton seems like the best guess...

Hi Heather,

If it's a chiton you should be able to count 8 segments along its back. Chitons all have 8 linked shells which are usually quite obvious (but occasionally covered by their mantles). If the thing has obvious bristles, I would have to guess its a polychaete worm, perhaps a scale-worm . . . does the critter appear to have a row of overlapping scales running down either side of its body? Or perhaps its a pokey flatworm (turbellaria). If so, it shouldn't have any physical features (other than showy colors) and appear quite . . . flat. Flatworms tend to be pretty speedy though. Hmmm . . . what could it be?

Grant

Oh...well...now I don't know, because it doesn't appear to have any scales or be segmented in any way. It's like some kid flattened a pea-sized bit of purple play-doh, and stuck tiny bristles around the edge.

I guess i could try to catch it and get some better pictures...

Archived