Cultivated Reef

New Nano Reef

RJPerri

Hi Guys,

I just found this board from TRT, and figured I would try a post here. I am just setting up a nano after I took my old one down two years ago when I moved. The problem of course is I am in Greece so lighting is a problem I am working on.

So far I have:

6 1/2 gallon tank

10 lbs Live Rock

1 1/2" - 2" LS bed (about 16 lbs)

1 Powerhead

13W PC lighting (I want to get the 2x32W CSLs but I have to wait till my next trip to the US).

It has been up for only four days and I am just checking the cycling process.

Three questions:

1.) How often should I test the parameters?

2.) Everything seem ok with the tank? Am I missing anything, besides stronger lighting?

3.) How long till I start adding a cleaning crew (I had in mind a cleaner shrimp, a Emerald crab, and some snails).

Thanks,

Rob

cycle takes a few weeks to a month and a half. give it time. test the water every other day until you see the parameters coming down to good levels and then test daily until the readings are where you want them to be.

I wouldn't add a clean up crew until the cycle is over.

The only thing you might want to add would be an additional means of water movement. Either a powerhead or a hob filter (media removed).

the new lighting might cause heat issues and the summers in Greece can be brutal so you might want to consider a hob chiller as a means of additional water movement and water cooler.

Where in Greece are you? Greece is close to the top on my favorite destinations. (indonesia takes the honors but it is no longer a viable destination).

Hi, Thanks for the reply!

I am in Athens with my wife, but the islands are great Vacation spots. I was thinking of a chiller, and when my wife had a FO going, we would keep the salt water in the fridge overnight before we added because Yes, it was getting very hot. This summer, we have finally installed Air conditioning as well, so hopefully it won't be as much an issue. How much do HOB Chillers cost? I don't think I have ever seen one.

I will be patient, thanks! It just gets annoying when people come over and critisize the "empty" tank :)

Originally posted by RJPerri

Hi, Thanks for the reply!

I will be patient, thanks!  It just gets annoying when people come over and critisize the "empty" tank :)

LOL......My tanks doesnt even have any WATER in it yet!....that will change by the weekend...... I HOPE

as far as lighting goes, check ebay! I live in Germany and got a 70W HQI Pendant with BLV/Ushio 10.000K bulb for about €70... and trust me it was worth every penny....

looks like you're doing good, I agree with crak, add a small powerhead for additional circulation (got a brand new one on ebay for €7,00 shipped...)

HTH

Archived