Top Shelf Aquatics

Silicate Dosing?

tinyreef

anyone know of a safe way to dose silicates? everything i've read/found so far seems to bond almost immediately to free Mg ions (for whatever the friggin chem/tech-babble reasons).

i'm looking to putz around with silicates to help bolster my sponge population growth (cryptic fuge). i've also noticed a plateau'ing of sponges on my nano and suspect silicate limitation there as well. not afraid of the diatom backlash as i can (hopefully) control the nutrient competition/balance.

any chemists out there? TIA

thanks birdy, i was thinking of posting a q at his chem forum at rdo for a while actually (been doing research). your suggestion led me to do a search (again) and i finally came up with this article. the last time i searched it didn't come up (i used a better search word this time).

the article actually answered my questions. thanks.

Hey Tiny,

I saw pretty good sponge growth in my tank, until I had a "buffer/Ca" crash. Then everything has pretty much stopped! Although, I've never tested for silicates, the silica (Si02) I used was >99% silicate free......that being said, the sponges must have been "feeding" off of something.

As for the chemistry lesson for the day: If Silicate (H2SiO4) has the protons stripped (which could happen, given the slightly basic environment of SW), that would yield an SiO4 ion with a -2 charge. Since Mg is a positive cation with a +2 charge.........bam! They'd hook up pretty quick!

All that being said, what about adding some silica based sand in a fuge or sump compartment and swaping it out every 2-3 months or so?

yeah, i thought about the silica sand route. just too much work for me. :P

rhf recommended using sodium silicate in that article so i'm thinking of trying that out. it should balance out nicely since i tend to overdose cacl. :D

thanks for the chem lesson. i had read the mg attraction but didn't know the techno reasons.

Archived