SaltCritters.com

questions about pc's at petsupplyliquidator

cal3v

I just ordered some lights from them this week. I should get them any day. I'll post to let you know. I ordered the 2x36w special with free ballasts and 1 55w 10k bulb for my main tank. I hope it's OK 'cuz I'm a cheap-skate and HATE to waste money!

with that deal do the bulbs each turn on indepedantly because i want them but i dont want to have to turn the lights on manually. is it only one cord on the ballast so i can run timers?

they are not. they are just regular "blue" bulbs. i think you can get 03 from hellolights.com. yeah running a timer on one cord is good. i think by what they meant each bulb turn on independently is that theres a cord for each bulb. hence its easier to do the dust and dawn effect. two timers, turning a different bulb on at different time.

There is no way to turn these bulbs on individually as they are run from 1 ballast. The only option would be to purchase a switch from radio shack (or other) and wire it inline between the ballast and bulb. If you did it for 1 bulb, and left the other directly wired to the ballast, you'd only have to turn on 1 bulb manually. I may do this for the tank in my office. THat way I'd at least have 36watts every day, and 72 watts while I'm at work m-f. THis is only a theory though, I haven't tried it to see if it works.

It depends on whether the ballast was designed for such operation, really.

If you use a switch to cut current to one bulb, you now have 92W going to the lone 36W bulb. Unless the ballast is actually really two independent ballasts. with a common housing and powersource.

do you mean 72 (instead of 92)? My idea was just a theory. I doubt that these ballasts will work with my idea. I wonder how I can tell without trying it?

Ok, so I ordered this monday night and received it today...Not bad! The product looks fine. It is an electronic ballast that is completely wired and ready to go. It has 1 power plug. The bulbs look great and were packed extremely well. I also ordered a 55w 10k bulb for my main tank. It is Catalina Aquarium brand. Personally I am satisfied with the product so far...I'll install the 2x36w tomorrow.

i am interrested to so how u like them over the tank...is the ballast gets hot and the hood that u put them in.....keep us posted.......

Archived