Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Why is my 29BC so microbubbly?

Arizonah13

I've had my BC running for 3 weeks now. The only change that has happened recently is adding some filter floss on top of the grate (above the bioballs) in chamber two. I still have the regular oceanic/biocube carbon filter and all else is stock. Oh! I did add a Koralia nano powerhead (the "bigger" of the two options they have - 425 gph I believe).

Anyway, for the first two weeks, I had zero microbubbles, but since the past week when I've added the filter floss and powerhead, my tank constantly has bazillions of teeeeny tiny microbubbles. I've made sure that the stock powerhead and koralia are pointed to the surface, but not so much that I'm getting outrageous bubbles from that... I just don't know what could actually be causing it.

Any suggestions? I'd like my tank to be clear again.

You've probably slowed down the water from 1 - 2 and then to 3 so you are probably pulling air. Try raising your water level in chamber 3. Just keep filling the tank you wont hurt it.

Check you sponges - if you still have them and take your bio balls out and give them to your cat. That's about all they are good for. They will cause you problems down the road if you leave them in your tank and it's a good time to remove them.

also check your pump return hose to make sure it's tight at the elbow. A zip tie is good insurance that it is and won't allow air in.

one more thing... your power head... how close to surface is it? Is it pulling air? You can try unplugging it to see if it goes away with your main pump running by itself. and then try again with just the new power head to see if it's the pump.

are they very noticeable bubbles? my bc29 has mirco bubble everywhere, but if they are noticeable then most likely from one of the pump gonna say its the return pump not getting enough water especially if your running the stock carbon filter plus filter floss

You've probably slowed down the water from 1 - 2 and then to 3 so you are probably pulling air. Try raising your water level in chamber 3. Just keep filling the tank you wont hurt it.

Right now the water level in chamber 3 is decently high - not the the very top of the chamber itself, but at least 1/2" above the min/max window - probably 3-4" below the top of the tank. I'll be getting some more RO/DI water from the LFS tomorrow, so I'll try filling that chamber up some more.

Check you sponges - if you still have them and take your bio balls out and give them to your cat. That's about all they are good for. They will cause you problems down the road if you leave them in your tank and it's a good time to remove them.
Good call! I've actually taken about 10-12 of them out already (was trying to do it slowly since I already have an ocellaris clown in there w/6 blue leg hermits. I ordered the media tower and fuge tower from mediabaskets and it just came today. Do you think it would be safe to just toss the remaining balls all at once and get my towers set up in chamber two? I already have chemi-pure elite and purigen (and filter floss).

Also, I ordered the new submersible lights just a few days ago, so I don't have those yet. While I'm at the LFS, do you think it would be okay to buy a ball of chaeto and toss it into my display area until my fuge light arrives?

also check your pump return hose to make sure it's tight at the elbow. A zip tie is good insurance that it is and won't allow air in.

Please forgive my *extreme* newbishness, but... is the pump return hose the part that goes into the actual square "body" of the pump (on the floor of chamber 3) or is it considered the part right before the power head?

one more thing... your power head... how close to surface is it? Is it pulling air? You can try unplugging it to see if it goes away with your main pump running by itself. and then try again with just the new power head to see if it's the pump.

The new Koralia nano is about 3" below the water surface (just below the top intake grate)- I don't actually see it spitting any bubbles, but if the addition of water doesn't cure what ails me, I'll turn it off to see if it actually is the culprit.

Thank you so much for the extremely quick reply and awesome suggestions!!! :)

are they very noticeable bubbles? my bc29 has mirco bubble everywhere, but if they are noticeable then most likely from one of the pump gonna say its the return pump not getting enough water especially if your running the stock carbon filter plus filter floss

With the exception of an occasional bb sized bubble, they are super tiny - almost makes the water look cloudy.

Once I get my media baskets set up tomorrow, I'm going to toss the biocube carbon filter (and snap off that plastic piece to increase flow per the instructions I've seen on inTank/mediabaskets)

Thanks for the help!! I really appreciate it. :)

did you recently add any new pumps. When i added my K1 it stirred up a serious muck looked like micro bubbles but was actually fine sand.. filter floss got it all over the course of a few days.

Archived