Top Shelf Aquatics

Eclipse 12 lighting

gabbeyshell

I have an Eclipse 12 that currently has a supernova 32w pc. I would like to upgrade the lighting to 96w. Is there anything that will retrofit to my hood? If not, what other options to I have with this tank?

Thanks

gabbeyshell, if you really want the 96w , i think the only way it would be possible would be to remove the hood completely. i am not aware of anyone retrofitting this light into the hood. it would be a really tight fit, not to mention that you would also have to remove the stock filtration if you haven't done that already. coralife sells a 96w fixture that comes with legs that can be fitted to the top of the eclipse12. if you want to keep the hood, you can do what i did and get the 2x32w retrofit from csl. you will still have to get rid of the stock filtration, but all that contraption was good for was blocking light to the back 1/4 of the tank. i personally believe that 64 watts of light was more than enough for what i wanted to keep(lps mainly). and, you get the benefit of independent controls for dawn and dusk effects which can't be done with any 96w light. the whole project was fairly simple. good luck on whichever set-up you choose to go with..... j....

I have a 96W powerquad on my Eclipse 12 hood. I created my own retrofit kit. I ordered the 96W ballast from innovative lighting solutions (http://www.il-solutions.com/), then I ordered the 50/50 bulb and 18" (or perhaps 19") reflector from hellolights. If I remember correctly, it came out to ~$100.

I placed the reflector over the pre-existing holes in the hood and drilled into the reflector where there were indentations. I also drilled holes for the metal hanging clips. You have to kind of work with the clips to take out the bend so that you can slip the clip between the openings on the bulb. I had to drill out the clips a little to fit the nuts and bolts I bought to attach the clips to the reflector.

I also bought a couple longer bolts with nuts to attach the water-proof endcap to the reflector, but you could probably get away with just using twisty ties if you want.

HTH

Archived