ReefCleaners.org

Looking for tips to raise pH

nor_cal_nano

nor_cal_nano

For the past year, my tank has been at the lower end of "acceptable" on the pH scale. Generally, it hovers around 7.8...sometimes 7.7 or so.

I'd like to raise the pH to help with my dino bloom, as I've heard this can help. Would you recommend dosing kalkwasser to accomplish this? How slowly should it be raised? I've been doing quite a bit of reading today on the subject of Ca/Alk/pH but still don't understand exactly how they relate.

Here are my params:

SG 1.026

pH 7.6

Alk- 8dKH

Ca- 520

I'm worried about my Ca level being high as well (I use seachem reef salt) so I don't want to add anything to raise pH that will raise Ca too.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Brad

cheryl jordan

For starter I would get a mag test kit if you do not have one and see where you stand mag wise.

IME that systems with a low level of mag have a problem maintaining a stable Ph.

Next I would look to flow and see if you can improve that.

A refugum on a reverse lighting schedule helps as well.

I like kalk, but it can be tricky and is best on a drip method of dosing.

If you have a fuge...keep it on 24 hours not reverse. This will spike your pH. Reduce your photo period to 3-4 hours for a week or so or go dark for 3 days. If you can, remove the rock(s) that are infested with dino and dip them in freshwater and return to the tank. Monitor the dino and constantly siphon it out with airline tubing. It should go away.

I haven't tried this but I've heard great things about it...Aquavitro makes a solution called "eight.four". Use the recommended dosage as the last result.

Archived