Pod Your Reef

2 no 20 w problem .......

gee

Hi guys, nice forum you got there lots of info !

But i cant find info about this :

I got a little problem, i just bought a fixture at Home Depot, its a 2 no 20 w fluorescent fixture made by lithonia, it was cheaper than bying the sockets and ballast :rolleyes: , then i bought one 20 w power glo and one 20 w marine glo, but when i plug it in, the marine glo barely flashes, i can see the elctrode getting orange inside, but it wont fire it up, and the power glo dont flash at all, on the ballast it clearly says for 2 20 w tube r.s. (rapid start ?), do i need to add ignitors ?

Thanks

Did they test the tubes at the store before you bought them? NO tubes break pretty easily during shipping so alot of stores test them now, or have a lil test center. I've been jipped a few times buying broken tubes.

i really dont think they are broken, the 14 w for my freshwater and the two 15 w for another one all works good in the stock hood, so its probaly a problem with the fixture, or i am missing an ignitor, all the tubes where bought at the same time.

Thanks

i solved the problem, i bought an instant fire ballast, it was 3 $ more but now both lights work and there is no flickering at startup.

For those interested the ballast number from Home Depot is :

Advance transformer co.

standard rel-2p32-sc instant start electronic ballast.

25 $ canadian dollar.

Thanks

I think I bought the ballast you used to have?? I' m planning on using those same types of blubs but in 15" but I don't think they will work the ballast I bought was like 18 bucks CANADIAN from home depot and it says (2) f20t12 lamps but it also says (2)f15t8 and the 15w lamps and I think that's what I'm gonna be using do u think this ballast would work or should I go get another one?

If you are gonna use the ballast for 1 or 2 15w T-8's it will work, if you want to be sure just do a test before installing evrything, Home Depot are easy on the return policy so if it dont work take it back and buy an electronic ballast.

Archived