Cultivated Reef

8.4 ph bad?

wowser

I used to have low Ph but now it's gone the other way. I just did a test at 2 pm and it's at 8.4. Is that bad? I have been using a fan across the top to keep temps down (works great) but could this be the result? Tank is an 8 gallon bc with Chempure Elite, Purigen and Cheato on reverse cycle. LED lights on for 10 hours. Switched salt to Catalina sea water (store bought). I read not to use additives to chase down perfect Ph. What would you advise? Thanks!!!

It's on the upper limit of it's natural range but what's more important is stability if there are large swings in Ph then that is considered bad. Having Cheato on reverse cycle should reduce the chance of large swings in Ph.

cheryl jordan

A lot of people would be very happy with a Ph of 8.4.

Just watch it and check it the same time of day, each time you check it.

:)

Perfect pH is not something to chase. If your other chemicals are in line and balanced then pH will follow.

hahah, it's all very zen.

Perfect pH is not something to chase. If your other chemicals are in line and balanced then pH will follow.

With my pH probe on my reefkeeper I wake up and my pH is about 8.15 before lights on....when the lights turn off it's about 8.35ish

I wouldn't worry about it unless it get's higher than 8.4

Archived