Top Shelf Aquatics

10 days

surfingelite

Ok, I have been cycling my tank for 10 days now and the only test readings I have gotten are the ammonia levels. It has remained at the .5-.75 ppm levels. The nitrite and nitrate have been at 0. Not really a spike i guess. I received all seeded live sand from a broken down tank and 10 lbs of live rock and have not had my lights on during the time.

I should have a cycle, right? I only tested 2 times during the 10 days, could I have missed it? That would have been a short cycle but I think it is just my lack of patience getting to me.

Originally posted by surfingelite

Ok, I have been cycling my tank for 10 days now and the only test readings I have gotten are the ammonia levels. It has remained at the .5-.75  ppm levels. The nitrite and nitrate have been at 0. Not really a spike i guess. I received all seeded live sand from a broken down tank and 10 lbs of live rock and have not had my lights on during the time.

You aren't cycled. Detectable ammonia = "Patience, grasshopper".

What's probably happening is you are getting LR die-off that is being processed in limited amounts by the bacteria in the rock. Eventually, the nitrifying and denitrifying bacteria will reach an equilibrium with the amount of food(ammonia) present, and it should all go away.

I agree with Caja, test daily.

~Empty

Archived