Coral Vue Hydros

Sun Coral

DLR31987

I am thinking about ordering a sun coral, as well as a BTA, and some sort of fish (don't know yet) from saltwaterfish.com since they have the 75$ free shipping deal. I have tried to read a lot on the sun corals and they seem like they could work in my tank. Here are my specs:

38gal AGA

Nitrates, nitrites, ammonia, phosphates- 0

Salinity 1.021

pH 8.3

Alkalinity(my test kit only has poor, normal, and high) normal

temp 78

Calcium, rather low but i have begun dosing with liquid Ca about a week ago so it's climbing back up

Inhabitants:

Gold banded maroon clown

handful of blue legged hermit crabs

two turbo snails

Coral banded shrimp

cleaner shrimp

two green chromises

1 brownish polypy coral [don't know name]

Also....could anyone recommend another fish that would go along well with the three I have plus the other inhabitants?

Thanks

You'll need some phytoplankton or other coral food to feed the sun coral. They are great and live long if you feed them regularly...ideally daily and a direct feeding is best. They like to be in dark dark spots with mild current.

Cameron

I have a small sun coral in my 20h. Lighting doesn't matter, so I keep mine half-way up so feeding it is easier.

Each head can easily eat one or two mysis or more... or whatever you feed them. So when you add up all the heads, thats quite a bit of food thats going in the tank :o

You have to be careful not to overfeed to, as they will keep taking the food in, but will spit it out later undigested.

I feed mine about every 48+ hours with whatever I'm feeding the fish...mysis, bloodworms, cyclopeeze, frozen formula1, etc.

Mine seems to love cyclop-eeze the most. It opens up anytime I put even a tiny tiny bit in (and opens up the most to).

My sun coral polyps have gotten "meatier" looking and a few new polyps have popped up over the past 6 months. Feed them mysis. I agree with ~-~; feed each polyp mysis every other day and they will love you forever. They do not need light, but are not light aversive (won't be damaged if in moderate lighting). Watch the water quality in the tank. After a while the polyps open up during the day or whenever you put food in the water. Pain in the @$$ to care for, but they really are beautiful. A good reson to get a moon-lite.

Archived