Innovative Marine Aquariums

Mixing in the garage, will it get to HOT!

JohnOTS

So I plan on mixing large amounts of water for my water changes. I want to mix between 15 to 20 gallons and leave it in the garage with a pump running all the time.

The question I have is, is it bad to do this in the garage where in sunny southern CA it can get to 100 degrees in the garage or higher. Is it bad to store water at this high heat?

To bad my wife wont let me just have this large container in the house. :angry:

TheUnfocusedOne

Theres nothing living in it and your working mostly simple ionic salts which can't really decompose. It should be find, just keep light out of it so nothing grows in it and make sure to cool it down before you add it.

thanks,

I just figured that at the higher heat algea would start to grow.

anyone else mixing water in the garage?

bhskicker18
thanks,

I just figured that at the higher heat algea would start to grow.

anyone else mixing water in the garage?

I'm curing some live rock in a cooler in my garage. Does that count?

I'm curing some live rock in a cooler in my garage. Does that count?

I have done that before to cure new rock with no problems. I am just concerned with mixing water for an established tank for water changes. It could be out there for up to 3 weeks at a time.

Theres nothing living in it and your working mostly simple ionic salts which can't really decompose. It should be find, just keep light out of it so nothing grows in it and make sure to cool it down before you add it.

+1

also keep in mind that the salt will mix up quicker when its warmer

AZDesertRat

I often mix mine in the garage. Before I am ready to use it I stick a Koralia or other powerhead in the barrel to circulate the water and a clip on fan on the side or handle blowing on the water to cool it to my desired temperature, it does not take long to get it where I want it that way.

It shouldn't be a problem as long as you cool it before your water changes. The one thing you'll need to consider is that the SG will be different going from 90 degree water to 78-80 degrees, so double check your salinity before your water changes.

By the way, I feel your pain on the 30 gallon Brute Trashbin sitting in the corner of my kitchen. The wife hates it there, but nothing a nice table cloth and flower vase can't cover up when guests come over:)

It shouldn't be a problem as long as you cool it before your water changes. The one thing you'll need to consider is that the SG will be different going from 90 degree water to 78-80 degrees, so double check your salinity before your water changes.

+1

I mix my water in a 50 gallon rubber made tub with a lid that is stored out in a large metal shed. Hot summer days here in Central CA get to 110 - yesterday was 108 and my water was 98 after an hour in the house sitting next to the AC vent.

I've never had any problems with anything growing in the tub as it gets no light. I do verify my salinity once it gets down to the correct temps. Since I do water changes daily, lately I've had to get the water for the next days water change a day ahead. So I'm always rotating the water jugs out. I just don't have the time to wait for it to cool down.

Archived