Innovative Marine Aquariums

Sand From Beach Ok?

mapv281

I don't know how many of you are familiar with the sand around the Destin, Ft. Walton Beach, Panama City Florida coast, it's the whitest sand I've ever seen, my gf keeps bugging me about putting in some sand that I could get from a friend who lives in Destin inside the tank, I want to make sure if this is ok? Like get a bucket or something, head out to the beach, go into the water a little bit and pull out some sand from there, package it with a little bit of water, fully sealed, overnight/2day mail, is this ok? I was thinking of mixing that with a little bit of aragonite. Someone help me out, I just started cycling my tank with live rock only and I want to make up my mind asap about what sand to put in.

Reefer_Buddha

thats a big NEGATORY good buddy. Even tho that sand looks clean id bribe someone with a boat to go about 500 ft offshore then youll get some clean sand.

I'd just buy argonite based play sand (Southdown) if you can get it. The pre-packaged live only comes in 10lbs and I don't think you want all of that in your tank. I'd put in about 6lbs and a cup from the LFS.

-Justin

Archived