Top Shelf Aquatics

RCK's Solana 34 fun in a box...

rck

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well he's in there but hiding... but that's what they do till they are comfy... I hope... :)

I just wanted this tank to have a few fish but something different and or special. Tried of the same old clowns and so on. I also got a frag of Rose Stylophora sps from Dr F&S... since I was paying $35 to ship might as well add in a $20 frag.

I wanna add in a few ric next and get some more zoa's. I have a couple of nice rocks that I wanna turn into a zoa garden if possible.

Well new fish is doing well! He just hides behind the rocks. :(

I added a bag of Phosban and it has really helped clean up the water and keep the red-haze on the glass way down.

• 2 weeks later...

Did a weekly 4gal WC tonight... spiffed up the rear chambers and sucked um out and cleaned all the filters and media.

So far new basslet is doing good just never can see the bugger till the lights are off then he ventures out in the actinics. Plans are to add another fish, a male royal flasher wrasse for more color and action.

I have located several local reefers with some really nice rare SPS and will be getting some sweet frags at our local frag swap in Dec!

Here's a few on the list of frags:

Pink Lemonade

Reefready Grapejuice

Phonape Birdsnest

DFS Super Blue Tenuis

Palettas Baby Blue

and some Purple Death zoas

Sah weet! I can't wait to get this stuff and space it all out and just sit back and watch it grow out!

Tanks doing great and everything is growing like crazy.... My small zoa frags I got a month or so ago have doubled in size and # of polyps...!

Update 10-9

Well looks like I have gotten a little of the Acan bug in the last few days... lol I have bought 4 in 2 days!

Bought this colony first...

acan_colony.jpg

Then found another local shop that had just got in some really killer rainbow colored ones and so me and the kids made a trip and here is what I found...

Killer rainbow colors... its still pissed off but you can see the potential colors here!

rainbow_acan.jpg

Group shot...

group_1.jpg

Second one I got in the lower left.... pissed off as well but cool greens n reds..

2_acans.jpg

Have a 3rd but it was not wanting to be pictured all mad...

Here are some pics of the rest of the stuff... Pictures are a little washed out... still working on finding a good setting for the camera I am borrowing (canon eos rebel xti)

Pink Stylophora SPS I got from DrFS...

porcill.jpg

Pink Milli

milli.jpg

Mystery Acro - tan/purple/green polyps

mystery_acrop_1.jpg

Free Mystery Acro

mystery_sps_1.jpg

Green Slimer

green_slimer.jpg

Red Blastos

blastos.jpg

Mystery Zoa frag from LFS

mystery_zoas_1.jpg

Tank shot with no lights...

tank10-8.jpg

d'Espresso

I feed marine snow and add a teaspoon of Kent's Cal and Iodine ever other day with the pump/skimmer on stand-by mode for an hour while feeding the fish... Oh yea also one tab of a Balance Bar ever time I do my once a week 4gal WC and run a phosban in chamber 2.

Not really sure about "adds" I was never good at that process when I had the other tanks in the past. ANy suggestions would be great!

rob

Tank update and more new Acan frags... lol just had to go back and get a few more...

Front tank shot

frt_tank_10_10_.jpg

Left side

left_tank_10_10.jpg

Right side

rt_tank_10_10.jpg

Coral corner... where the cool kids hang out!

coral_corner.jpg

Here was the first frag I got on Thurs opened up...

acan_4.jpg

Here is a New 2 head frag one of the colony as the one above...

acan_3.jpg

And the 2nd frag I got Thurs...

acan_1.jpg

And here is a New 2 head one I got on Sat...

acan_2.jpg

I have taken a few of my zoa frags that have doubled and tripled and fragged them this weekend to make a few things I can take to our local club frag swap in Dec. so they will be healed an even growing out some.

All is good in Box-O-Fun

rob

The most of LR came from my sisters tank that she tore down and was all bleached out.. I bought one nice LR at a LFS and its the purple one on the bottom right...

• 4 weeks later...

Nothing much to report... I did lose the Tiger Pistol to a jump???

tank_11_7.jpg

Just waiting till next months local frag swap to get a few more nice SPS frags I ordered and then its time to let the tank sit and grow... Maybe a acan or zoo here or there...

Yea there like upper crazy priced! I like my swissguard basslet... he's gotten use to the tank now and is more friendly and comes outta the cave now!

Have to replace my pistol shrimp tonight before my kids get home... lol the old fashion switch-a-roo

=D I can't justify the price on a candy. How's your little basslet doing in the 30g, videos make them look gorgeous. I just got the itch to do a tank and want that 1 fish that'll keep me motivated.

Its a great fish but it takes a while before it comes into the open to be seen and even thats just a glimpse before it shoots back in the darkness...

I might add a Flasher Wrasse to add more movement... and color

• 2 weeks later...

Update on Turkey day... lol

Some alone time and time to play w the camera a lil to get somethings honed in... lower tank pics are good but still high shots suk due to the lighting...

Was able to finally get the basslet to come out... he actually is curious now and comes out to see what I am doing... he's no pic hog like old Bubba who is always lurking around...

basslet_5.jpg

basslet_4.jpg

basslet_3.jpg

basslet_2.jpg

basslet_1.jpg

Here's Old Bubba the fat ass gobie... lol

bubba-1.jpg

Here are the acans....

acan_1.jpg

acan_2.jpg

acan_3.jpg

acan_4.jpg

Zoa's

zoa_1.jpg

zoa_2.jpg

hot_p_zoa.jpg

And a crappy shot of SPS... just cant seem to get the lighting set right...

sps-1.jpg

Here's the top of the tank and a shot of the E-R nano skimmer cup after 2 days...

tank_top.jpg

skimmer_cup.jpg

I am going to a local frag swap next weekend and will be picking up a frag pack of premium SPS and some purple death zoa's... :) will be an early XMAS present...

Once I have the new SPS I plan on taking the top half of the LR and remove SPS from plugs and "mount" them to the LR and then I will be done with SPS additions and just let the tank start to grow out... for frags... lol

Tanks running great... everything's doing what its suppose to do. I clean out the filters ever 2-4 days and weekly 4gal WC.

Feed mystis shrimp everyday and some Formula 1 every other day to the gobie n bassslet and spot feed acans once a week. MArine snow every 2 days and 6 drops Cal and 6 drops Iodine every 2 days... and a Balance block with every WC.. and I never test my water lol... but everything's growing and looking great so why bother I figure...

Happy Turkey day lol Gobble Gobble

rck

• 2 weeks later...

Update... Frag swap this past weekend and have started to snap off a few pieces and mount them in the rocks... Here is a list of the "frag" names:

Pink Lemonade SPS

Palettas Baby Blue SPS

Tyree Phonape Birdsnest SPS

Reefready GrapeJuice SPS

Fosters super blue tenius SPS

Rommel's Watermelon SPS

Purple Death

Tank Shot

IMG_3047_sm.jpg

New Acan from Cherry Coral

new_acan.jpg

New Purple Death

purple_death.jpg

Tyree Birdsnest

tri_nest.jpg

3 mounted Tyree (top), Palettas Baby Blue (btm right) and a mystery acro frag thats coloring up nicely...

tri_acro.jpg

Frag Garden... Rommel's Watermelon (btm left), Pink Stylophora DrF&S (middle), Green Slimer, Red Milli (btm right), Purple mystery Acro behind milli

sps_1.jpg

More... Fosters super blue tenius (btm left), Slimer, Pink Lemonade (mid right)

sps_2.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Update... XMAS gluing...

Well I took some time while off work to plant a few of the pieces of sps that have been in the tank for the last few months and give room up top to the newer frags I have growing out... I will continue to "plant" as things show growth and health... so far so good :)

sps_1-1.jpg

sps_3.jpg

Tank shot

sps_2-1.jpg

Bubba chillin

bubba-2.jpg

Acans

acan_4-1.jpg

acan_1-1.jpg

acan_2-1.jpg

acan_3-1.jpg

Archived