SaltCritters.com

Help me stabilize my pH

kjbreefer

NC28

My pH varies from 8.21 just before the lights go out, to 7.71 right before the lights come on. I am running a NanoGlo on the back with some Chaeto in the middle chamber but I was wondering what else would help. I have an ATO set up and wanted to know what would be good to use (an all in one calcium/buffer?) to add to my top off water. I was thinking about setting it up to add slowly at night to reduce the drop in pH.

Would just dripping kalc at night be ok?

HELLO HELLO

How long has your fuge been in operation?

Do you know what your pH swing was before you had the fuge running?

I would not add a 2 in 1 or calc/alk whatever to your top-off. Just too easy to overdose and KILL KILL KILL.

That is a large swing - but not out of control. Are you noticing your coral or livestock behaving strangely?

I'm not really sure what the pH swing was before adding the fuge. All in all, the tank looks pretty good. I was just wondering if anyone has delt with this problem before.

I am having the exact same problem as you. I have been using seachem buffer and it shoots the PH to 8.3 instantly and it actually doesn't maintain that 8.3 but a few hours. I would say stay away from it. I am looking into working with my alk and calc levels next.

So how long has the fuge been in operation?

pH swings are normal, and fluctuate with the photoperiod. If you've got a fuge, just let it work and eventually it will mitigate most of the variance in pH.

Additionally, dosing pH buffer is a slippery slope - and it's met with a lot of different and cautious opinions.

Give your current swing values - and the fact that your tank appears happy and healthy, I'd leave it alone.

Just sayin.

Archived