Coral Vue Hydros

TDS and algae

aajd333

My TDS is reading one and I am having algae issues in my tank. Would one TDS promote algae growth, or should I look somewhere else. Thanks

A TDS of one for your ro water or ro/di water is probably not the cause of your algae. Look elsewhere for excess nutrients (feeding).

The tank is 6 months old. I have what appears to be a black algae growing on rocks only. T5 lights, bulbs are 6 months old. Nitates are 0 and I have no way of accurately testing phosphate. I feed every other day, but it is frozen mysis, rods food, and cyclopeeze( maybe high phosphate foods?). The rock was transferred from another tank, could they be leaching phosphates. I don't know what the phosphates were in previous tank either. Thanks for the help.

villagefrags

Its not the TDS, a reading of 1 is negligible.

It is likely your foodstuffs, since they are organic and contain, as you said, phosphate. One thing you could try is to thaw them in tank water then strain the water off, which will contain a bunch of phosphate, and just feed the particles.

You may also be overfeeding a little, but only you can tell that.

Sounds like your tank is going thru the algal cycles, if you can, try blowing any pieces off with a turkey baster and apply aggressive skimming.

Regards,

Paul @ Team VF.

Archived