ReefCleaners.org

vacation & lighting question

reefer

i plan on setting up my 20L on the 2nd weekend in February. I am then going away on vacation in the middle of march for 2 weeks. I was planning on maybe having a few shrooms in there when i go or other corals that survive on light only and leaving much larger than usual reserve for my auto top off. does anyone see a problem with this? should i leave it with rock only until i get back? i plan on using cured LR from my LFS. also for my fuge, i bought a 50w light from home depot that is for use with plants, i have it set up in a little work light that i am going to clip onto my AC500. it seems to get quite hot, will this cause a problem with my temp? should i switch to another light? anyone using this setup now? thanks!

this is the lighting for my fuge not the reef. is this not adequate or improper to grow algea in my fuge? anyone with a response to the vacation question? thanks

2 weeks is too long to leave a tank un-attended. Do you know someone who can check on it for you? If not I'd advise waiting till you get back. You have no idea how much evap you will have, in 2 weeks weather, humidity, etc can change. What if power goes out or you blow a circuit breaker in your house? Only use a small pc light on a fuge IMO. Don't use a plant light.

Ahhh... I see.

I didn't read your post right. I'm not sure how a grow light would work on your fuge. I don't know why it wouldn't work; some people with large fuges even use MH. Since you're trying to get the alge to grow it could be a good solution, although it gets hot, like you said.

As far as adding corals & then leaving...I'd just wait until after you get back until you add anything. Better to play it safe.

Do you have an auto top-off? You're going to need one if you are planning on being away for two weeks.

i will have one of camerons auto top off systems running with probably a 5 gallon reserve and i have a roomate that will be around that will be checking the tank. is the consensus to wait to set anything up or wait before adding anything besides LR and LS?

Just got to wally world--Walmart-- and get one of those 24 hour timers, voila problem solved. Your light will come on and off for how ever long you want it to when ever you want it to. They are like 6 dollars so buy 1 .....buy three....hell by a box.

Archived