SaltCritters.com

new zoos not really opening...

Bear-E

Hey all,

Finally am stocking my new nano. Its my first attempt at a nano after a few year reefing hiatus...i had a successful 65gal reef for years that succumbed to a stuck on heater while i was away...sad day indeed. Anyway.

I got some zoos from the LFS, really gorgeous with orange centers and flourescing green tentacles. They opened right up when i put them in the tank, but since then, only the ones on the very bottom of the rock the came on (ie at the bottom of the tank) are opening, the rest closed tightly, or just so that the tentacles kinda stick out but the polyps are by no means open. They are on a 5" long tube like rock thats about 3/4" diameter, i think it was a acropora skelton at one time maybe.

The tank is a 7gal AGA minibow with an aquaclear 150 and a minijet for circulation, and has a CSL 32W smartlight retro in it. The zoos were added just over a week ago. All the params are normal (nitrate, ph, salinity, temp). The tank at the LFS had pretty poor lighting, and it was a deeper tank. Could it be that they have taken a week and still aren't used to the increase in light? I've been doing 1gal water changes weekly on it, so i haven't dosed anything yet as there was no livestock to warrant such dosing. Could they possibly need a little iodine boost to open up?

I can post actual water parameters when i get home from work later if needed, and i'd be happy to answer any other questions. I guess i need some reassurance that this could be sort of normal for zoos....i had some years ago but they just grew out of the liverock (and consequently did fine under 4 VHO tubes).

Thanks,

Barry

i got some zoos from my lfs under the same conditions as you (less light/deeper tank) and they took more than two weeks to open up under 70W HQI lighting.... I'd wait and see, as long as they are not sliming or showing other tell-tale signs... JMHO

hth

Cool. I had a feeling that was the case, as about 5 or 6 polyps that have a partially obstructed light path on the very bottom of the tank are opening, but the ones right next to them with a more direct path to the light wont open. And they aren't sliming at all, just closed up. I'll give them time. Thanks for the reassurance!

Barry

Archived